So I’d eat pretty much anything if you put the words “Philly Cheese Steak” in the name.
Pizza? Done it. Meatballs? Yup. Broccoli? Sure, why not?
Ice cream? Alright, let’s not get too carried away…
Fortunately, mushrooms not only taste great with steak, cheese, and caramelized onions – they also make the perfect vehicle with which to deliver it into your face. I’m pretty sure that qualifies as a win/win right there.
I chose to use larger Portobello mushroom caps for this stuffed mushrooms recipe since we were eating it as a main course, but you could just as easily use baby bellas, making this a perfect low carb appetizer recipe.
Another feature to love about this low carb stuffed mushroom recipe is how easy it is to prepare. I used deli roast beef that was already sliced, then all I had to do was give it a quick chop to get the pieces bite-sized – easy peasy!
The mushrooms I pre-cooked in the microwave, so they’d already be nice and soft when I filled them with the beef and onion mixture – eliminating the need to bake them a long time to get the mushrooms cooked through.
And there is little worse than biting into a stuffed mushroom that is still raw in the middle. Yuck.
Once I stuffed the pre-cooked mushrooms with the beef and onion mixture, all I had to do was slap the cheese on top and pop them under the broiler to brown. The entire process from start to finish took about 15 minutes – perfect for a weeknight or anytime you need dinner on the table FAST!
You could also assemble these Philly Cheese Steak stuffed mushrooms and store them in the fridge earlier, then bake, grill or microwave them to heat through and serve whenever you want.
I probably don’t need to tell you that this will be a popular recipe with your family and friends, so be sure to make plenty if you’re planning to share!
The whole family will love this super easy recipe that is loaded with beef, onion, and cheese! Gluten free, low carb, and keto friendly!
- 4 large portobello mushroom caps – or 16 smaller caps for appetizer sized
- 2 cups chopped deli roast beef (about 1lb)
- 1 cup onion, sliced
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- Combine the sliced onions, butter, garlic powder, salt, and pepper in a medium saute pan. Cook over medium heat until the onions are soft and starting to brown.
- Meanwhile, place the mushroom caps upside down on a paper towel-lined plate and microwave on high for 3 minutes. Turn mushrooms over and microwave for another 2 minutes.
- Add the beef to the onions and cook for 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the mayonnaise and mustard – stir well.
- Taste and season with additional salt and pepper as desired.
- Stuff the mushroom caps generously with the beef mixture (about 1/2 cup per cap if making four large ones), then top with a slice of cheese.
- Broil for 2-3 minutes, or until the cheese is browned and bubbling. Serve hot.
- Alternatively you could bake for 15 minutes at 375 degrees (F) or grill them over indirect heat with the cover down for about 6 – 8 minutes.
Approx nutrition info per serving: 422 calories, 31g fat, 5g net carbs, 29g protein
- Category: Entree or Appetizer
- Cuisine: American
To get more great recipes for Summer or anytime, download my super bundle of FIVE e-books for just $19.99!