This delicious antipasto salad featuring marinated baby artichokes is surprisingly easy to make and so worth the effort! Low carb, gluten free, dairy free, nut free, grain free.
- 6 baby artichokes
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 6 cups water
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp capers, drained
- 1/4 tsp caper brine
- 1/4 cup jarred cherry peppers, cut in half (see example)
- 1/4 cup pitted green olives, sliced
- 1 Tbsp fresh dill, chopped
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp fresh lemon zest
- 2 tsp no sugar added balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp granulated sugar substitute (optional)
- Combine the water, 1 tsp kosher salt, and fresh lemon juice in a medium sized pot.
- Trim the tough outer leaves from the baby artichokes and cut them in half.
- Spoon out the hairy center choke, leaving as much of the smooth, white heart as possible.
- Trim the stems to about 1 inch in length, and then pare off any stringy outer parts from the stem.
- As you finish each artichoke, place it in the pot of water.
- Once the artichokes are all trimmed, bring the pot to a boil and simmer for 20-30 minutes, or until the artichokes are fork tender. Drain.
- Combine the olive oil, capers, brine, peppers, fresh dill, lemon juice, lemon zest, balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper, and sweetener (if using) in a medium sized bowl.
- Add the drained artichokes (still warm) to the bowl and toss gently to coat.
- Let the artichokes sit for at least 10 minutes in the dressing before serving.
- Stir gently and serve at room temperature.
This recipe will keep in the fridge for up to 10 days.
Approx nutrition info per serving: 170 calories, 13g fat, 5g net carbs, 1g protein
- Category: Low Carb Artichoke Recipe
- Cuisine: Mediterranean