So today marks one week that we’ve been living in Belize and it’s so good to finally be here and settling in! The house is great and the view from our porch is unbeatable as you can see by the photo below!
I have lots to tell you about the move and our new life in Belize, so it feels weird to be posting about marinated baby artichokes right now – but this is one of the low carb recipes for spring that I had completed right before I left, so I might as well use it!
I’ve got some other delicious recipes that I created in NY before we moved that I’ll be sharing in the next week or two, and then I’ll finally start posting new stuff that I’m cooking down here in San Pedro, so stay tuned!
Meanwhile, this low carb antipasto featuring marinated baby artichokes is easier than you’d think and so very, very delicious! It keeps well for a week or so in the fridge, and makes the perfect low carb lunch, or a side dish or appetizer!
A lot of people are put off by artichokes because they seem like a lot of work. It’s true that they require a little prep to get them ready, but the results are worth it and SO MUCH better than the jarred stuff in my opinion.
All you really need to do is cut off the tops, trim the bottoms, pull off the really small inedible leaves from the outside, then cut them in half and spoon out any hairy “choke” from the middle.
Once you cut into them, artichokes oxidize quickly, so just make sure to throw a tablespoon of lemon juice to some water and toss them in there while you work, so they stay nice and green.
Then just boil them until they soften up, drain them and use them in salads like this one, or saute them in an herb butter and you are good to go!
These low carb marinated baby artichokes really class up an antipasto platter, and your friends will be impressed with your mad skillz when they find out you made them from scratch. (Do people even say that anymore? I dunno – I’m old I guess.)
Briny from the capers and olives, with a subtle lemon flavor and a sweet punch from the cherry peppers, they also have a nice tang from the fresh dill – it’s a perfect combination that really complements the slightly anise flavor of the artichokes. And it just gets better and better with age – IF you can keep them around longer than a day!
This delicious antipasto salad featuring marinated baby artichokes is surprisingly easy to make and so worth the effort! Low carb, gluten free, dairy free, nut free, grain free.
- 6 baby artichokes
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 6 cups water
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp capers, drained
- 1/4 tsp caper brine
- 1/4 cup jarred cherry peppers, cut in half (see example)
- 1/4 cup pitted green olives, sliced
- 1 Tbsp fresh dill, chopped
- 1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp fresh lemon zest
- 2 tsp no sugar added balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp granulated sugar substitute (optional)
- Combine the water, 1 tsp kosher salt, and fresh lemon juice in a medium sized pot.
- Trim the tough outer leaves from the baby artichokes and cut them in half.
- Spoon out the hairy center choke, leaving as much of the smooth, white heart as possible.
- Trim the stems to about 1 inch in length, and then pare off any stringy outer parts from the stem.
- As you finish each artichoke, place it in the pot of water.
- Once the artichokes are all trimmed, bring the pot to a boil and simmer for 20-30 minutes, or until the artichokes are fork tender. Drain.
- Combine the olive oil, capers, brine, peppers, fresh dill, lemon juice, lemon zest, balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper, and sweetener (if using) in a medium sized bowl.
- Add the drained artichokes (still warm) to the bowl and toss gently to coat.
- Let the artichokes sit for at least 10 minutes in the dressing before serving.
- Stir gently and serve at room temperature.
This recipe will keep in the fridge for up to 10 days.
Approx nutrition info per serving: 170 calories, 13g fat, 5g net carbs, 1g protein
Stay tuned for a post about our move, complete with lots of photos of the new house and some off our favorite spots here on Ambergris Caye!
Meanwhile, for those of you that don’t live on a tropical island, SUMMER IS COMING SOON! Not ready to get into that bathing suit yet?!? I know the feeling!!!
Get back on track with my free keto menu plans and you’ll be hitting the beach with confidence in no time!