I wanted something hearty and cheesy and starchy in the worst way!
It’s a good thing we live in the sticks and can’t get a pizza delivered (not that you can even GET a decent pizza in South Carolina – don’t even get me started on what they consider a good pizza down here!) because I might have caved if a good pizza or calzone was just a phone call away!
The other bad thing is that my fridge was pretty empty which almost never happens. I mean you could see through all of the shelves and drawers right to the floor! Usually it’s so loaded that it takes me forever just to find the cilantro in there! But this time the cilantro was front and center (I always have cilantro on hand), along with a few eggs, a small chunk of cheddar, half a package of chorizo, and lots of random condiments.
I also had a spaghetti squash on the counter that I’d bought for a different recipe. Desperate times call for desperate measures though, and it had to be sacrificed for the cause.
Now that I’ve developed a taste for it (like in this awesome recipe for Shrimp Fra Diavolo), I think I’m going to buy a few while they are still in season and cook/freeze them so it’s always ready to go!
If I’d had some cooked already this dish would have come together in less than 30 minutes. As it was it took about 45 minutes, including the 18 minutes it was baking in the oven.
Totally worth it though because it was everything I was looking for in a comfort food! Hearty, cheesy, spicy, and with a comforting, homey texture, I LOVED this dish!
I just know that you will too!!!!
Chorizo & Spaghetti Squash Casserole (Low Carb & Gluten Free)
Hearty and comforting, you’re going to love this cheesy, spicy, casserole that works great for breakfast, lunch OR dinner! Keto and Atkins friendly, it’s also gluten free!
- Yield: 4 servings
- Category: Low Carb Casserole
- Cuisine: Mexican
- 1/4 cup Mexican Chorizo
- 2 cups cooked spaghetti squash
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup salsa verde
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro to garnish (optional)
- To cook your spaghetti squash, pierce all over and microwave on high for 20 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes, then cut in half, carefully scoop out seeds, and then remove the stringy flesh and set aside. (careful, it will still be HOT!)
- Cook the chorizo in a medium saute pan.
- Add the squash and salsa verde and cook for 7-8 minutes, or until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the shredded cheese.
- Spread the mixture into one large or four smaller greased oven proof dishes. Press four dents into the mixture with the back of a large spoon and break one egg carefully into each depression.
- Bake in a preheated 375 degree (F) oven for about 18 minutes (longer if you want your yolks firm.)
- Remove from the oven and garnish with chopped cilantro before serving.
Approx nutrition info per serving: 284 calories, 21g fat, 5.5g net carbs, 17g protein