This low carb and gluten free pumpkin bread french toast is perfect for a leisurely weekend breakfast or brunch! Keto and Atkins friendly!
For the Pumpkin Bread:
- ¾ cup butter, melted
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1/3 cup coconut flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- ½ cup erythritol sweetener
- pinch of salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp ground allspice
For the french toast:
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp erythritol sweetener
- 8 slices pumpkin bread (3/4 inches thick)
- 1 Tbsp butter for frying
For the pumpkin bread:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (F)
- Combine the melted butter, eggs, almond milk, and pumpkin puree in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Combine the almond flour, coconut flour, sweetener, baking powder, salt, and spices in a medium bowl and stir well.
- Pour the blender ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until well combined and moisture is absorbed.
- Line a long, narrow loaf pan with parchment paper and spoon the batter into a 12 x 4 loaf pan.
- Bake the bread at 350 degrees (F) in the center of your oven for 60 minutes (or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.)
- Turn off the oven and leave the bread in there for an additional 15 minutes.
- Remove the bread from the oven and then from the pan using the parchment paper base to lift it out.
- Cool on the counter or in the refrigerator loosely covered for a minimum of 4 hours, but for best results leave it overnight before slicing.
For the french toast:
- Combine the eggs, heavy whipping cream, cinnamon and sweetener in a medium bowl and beat well until smooth.
- Melt the butter in a nonstick saute pan over medium heat.
- Carefully dip a slice of the pumpkin bread in the egg mixture on both sides for just a few seconds, and cook in the butter for about 2 minutes per side or until golden brown. Remove the french toast to a warmed plate and repeat with the remaining slices.
- Serve warm with butter and sugar free syrup or cinnamon and sweetener sprinkled over the top.
Approximate nutrition information per serving:
2 slices french toast: 531 calories, 49g fat, 6.75g net carbs, 16g protein
1 loaf of modified bread: 3130 calories, 280g fat, 51g carbs, 87g protein
(divide by number of slices to get info per serving)