This low carb and gluten free version of the traditional Tourtiere or Canadian Pork Pie tastes just as good as the real thing! Keto, Atkins and Paleo friendly!
For the pie crust (makes two 9 inch rounds):
- 2 cups almond flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp xanthan gum
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup finely shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 egg
For the pork filling:
- 2 lbs raw ground pork
- 1/3 cup raw onion, pureed in a blender or magic bullet
- 1/2 cup water
- 1.5 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 3/4 tsp ground allspice
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1 Tbsp ground sage
- 2 cups cooked cauliflower
- 2 Tbsp butter
To make the pie crust:
- Combine the dry ingredients together and mix thoroughly. In a medium bowl, mash the butter and cheese together with a fork until fully combined. Add the dry ingredients to the bowl and use a fork or pastry cutter to mash it together until fully incorporated into little pea sized lumps. Add the egg and stir until a dough forms. Divide the crust into 2 balls of equal shape and chill for ten minutes before rolling out for your pie.
To make the pork filling:
- In a heavy bottomed saucepan add the meat, salt, onion puree and water. The water helps the meat stay soft and not cook in large, tough chunks. Cook it over medium heat for about 15 minutes (or until fully cooked and most of the water has evaporated) and stir it to make sure it doesn’t brown and that there are no large chunks of meat.
- Puree the cooked cauliflower in a blender or magic bullet – you should have about 1 cup of puree.
- Combine the meat, cauliflower puree, butter and spices and mix thoroughly. Taste the mixture and adjust salt and pepper accordingly.
- Your filling is now ready to use so get to rolling out your crust, filling the pie with the mixture, covering and crimping it all the way around. Then cut some vents in the top for the steam to rise out.
- When we bake these out of the freezer it takes about an hour at 350 degrees. If you are baking them unfrozen, probably about 40 minutes. Since the filling is fully cooked, it’s really about getting the crust a nice golden brown so use your discretion.
- Serve warm with green olives.
Approx nutrition info per slice: 485 calories, 41g fat, 4g net carbs, 29g protein