Keto beef stew pies containing tender chunks of beef and mushrooms in a richly flavored gravy. A low carb meat pie inspired by some we’ve tried in British pubs.
For the beef stew filling:
- 3 tablespoons bacon fat
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 pound stew beef, or chuck roast cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon brown mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
For the pie crust:
- Heat the bacon fat in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the mushrooms and cook for 3 – 5 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Spoon the mushrooms into a large bowl and set aside.
- Add the onion, celery and garlic, and cook for about 3 minutes, or until fragrant and the onions are translucent.
- Spoon the vegetables into the bowl the mushrooms.
- Season the beef with salt and pepper.
- Add the beef to the hot bacon fat and sear over high heat for 3 – 5 minutes, or until browned.
- Spoon the meat into the bowl with the vegetables.
- Add the tomato paste, mustard, Worcestershire sauce to the pan and cook, stirring until thick for about 2 minutes.
- Add the beef broth and xanthan gum and stir well.
- Add the meat, vegetables, and any liquid from the bowl back into the pan and stir.
- Simmer, covered, over medium heat for 30 minutes, or until the meat has softened.
- Simmer uncovered an additional 10 minutes, or until the liquid has reduced by half.
- Remove from the heat and cool.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Spoon the stew mixture into six 6 ounce ramekins or oven safe bowls.
- Divide the easy keto dough into 6 balls, place on parchment paper for easy removal and press into circles slightly larger than the dishes you are using.
- Top each ramekin with a crust and press into the edges of the dish to seal.
- Poke holes in the top to allow steam to escape during baking.
- Brush with beaten egg and sprinkle tops with coarse salt.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove and cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Approximate net carbs per pie = 6g
- Serving Size: 1 pie
- Calories: 546
- Fat: 37g
- Carbohydrates: 10g
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 45g
Keywords: keto beef stew pie, keto meat pie, keto steak pie