These keto beef stew pies are super comforting and loaded with homey flavor and texture. What’s not to love about meat, veggies and gravy topped with a blanket of pastry?
With our move from Honduras back to New York throwing a wrench in my posting schedule, I was worried that it would be too late in the season to post this keto beef stew pies recipe.
I needn’t have worried.
With a high of only 46 degrees today, I don’t know about you but homey comfort foods are still high on my list of priorities. I figure we’ve still got at least a couple of weeks of cold and dreary April weather to make and enjoy this truly delicious keto meat pie before grilling season starts.
If you’re wondering what kind of deliciousness you can expect to find hidden underneath that golden cap of crust, I won’t keep you in suspense.
We’re talking tender chunks of beef, celery, mushrooms, and onion getting all cozy in a rich brown gravy – and if just reading that hasn’t sold you on this keto beef stew pie recipe, you might want to check yourself for a pulse.
Did I mention the bacon fat it’s all browned in before we add the garlic and onions, tomato paste and thyme leaves? I mean, it just keeps getting better and better.
With all of that flavor packed into the filling, can you make this as a keto beef stew and omit the crust altogether?
These keto beef stew pies are inspired by some of Mr. Hungry’s favorite meat pies from London pubs we visited on our last trip there in 2019.
And while the filling IS delicious on its own, you’d really be robbing yourself of the full, cozy, meat pie experience by omitting the crust.
I will say that you can make this as one large keto beef stew pie with a single round of crust over a casserole dish or deep pie plate if you don’t want to mess with the individual ramekins.
You can also bake the tops separately from the stew (like I did for my keto French Onion Soup recipe) and then just serve them together. This is beneficial if you’re planning to stretch it out all week and don’t want the tops to get soggy during storage and reheating.
I didn’t actually mind the tops softening up a bit throughout the week because they absorbed the flavor of that delicious gravy and it made them even better in my opinion. But if you like a slightly crunchy top, then serving them separately might be the way to go for you.
However you choose to serve these keto beef stew pies, I’m pretty confident that they will be a hit.
My guys loved these and didn’t have a problem with the mushrooms. If your family hates mushrooms you can omit them, but the flavor of the gravy won’t be quite as rich.
You can sub in cauliflower or chopped radish to bulk up the stew if you’re omitting the mushrooms – again it will alter the flavor a bit, but should still be delicious.Print
Keto beef stew pies containing tender chunks of beef and mushrooms in a richly flavored gravy. A low carb meat pie inspired by some we’ve tried in British pubs.
For the beef stew filling:
- 3 tablespoons bacon fat
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 pound stew beef, or chuck roast cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon brown mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
For the pie crust:
- Heat the bacon fat in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the mushrooms and cook for 3 – 5 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Spoon the mushrooms into a large bowl and set aside.
- Add the onion, celery and garlic, and cook for about 3 minutes, or until fragrant and the onions are translucent.
- Spoon the vegetables into the bowl the mushrooms.
- Season the beef with salt and pepper.
- Add the beef to the hot bacon fat and sear over high heat for 3 – 5 minutes, or until browned.
- Spoon the meat into the bowl with the vegetables.
- Add the tomato paste, mustard, Worcestershire sauce to the pan and cook, stirring until thick for about 2 minutes.
- Add the beef broth and xanthan gum and stir well.
- Add the meat, vegetables, and any liquid from the bowl back into the pan and stir.
- Simmer, covered, over medium heat for 30 minutes, or until the meat has softened.
- Simmer uncovered an additional 10 minutes, or until the liquid has reduced by half.
- Remove from the heat and cool.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Spoon the stew mixture into six 6 ounce ramekins or oven safe bowls.
- Divide the easy keto dough into 6 balls, place on parchment paper for easy removal and press into circles slightly larger than the dishes you are using.
- Top each ramekin with a crust and press into the edges of the dish to seal.
- Poke holes in the top to allow steam to escape during baking.
- Brush with beaten egg and sprinkle tops with coarse salt.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove and cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Approximate net carbs per pie = 6g
- Serving Size: 1 pie
- Calories: 546
- Fat: 37g
- Carbohydrates: 10g
- Fiber: 4g
- Protein: 45g
Keywords: keto beef stew pie, keto meat pie, keto steak pie