I’ve been kicking this low carb cereal recipe idea around for a few weeks now. It all started when I was pouring my son a bowl of his favorite “treat” cereal one morning, and it smelled so good that I suddenly missed eating cereal.
The cold, creamy milk mixed with the sweet crunch of the little squares just sounded amazing to me right then. I didn’t cave and eat any, but I added a low carb cereal recipe to the top of my “to do” list!
This morning I finally had time to do some experimenting with it so I got to work.
Because I’m doing the Whole 30 in August and the only approved sweetener is the occasional fruit or fruit juice, I wanted to develop a low carb cereal recipe that would be Whole 30 compliant.
As it is, I’m giving up my Cream Cheese Pancakes, because you can’t have dairy on the Whole 30 – which also rules out another of my favorites, Greek yogurt.
On top of that, I can’t have bacon or sausage unless I make my own, or pay through the nose for one cured without any sugar at all. So I’m going to be seriously hating eggs by the end of the month!
Or at least I would be if I didn’t have this awesome low carb cereal recipe to add to my breakfast menu! Served with unsweetened almond milk, it’s pretty amazing, and stays crunchy for about as long as a typical breakfast cereal.
For those of you not doing the Whole 30, the cereal recipe can be sweetened with the sugar substitute of your choice – just remember to add 1/2 cup of water to replace the liquid from the apple juice. Start with the equivalent of 1/4 cup of sugar when figuring out your measurements and go from there to get it as sweet as you prefer.
This recipe is pretty easy to make too, which is an added bonus.
On another note, good quality cinnamon will really make a difference. You don’t have to buy an expensive brand but if your cinnamon jar is from the 90’s, it’s time to throw it out and buy some fresh stuff.
You should really be replacing your dried herbs and spices at least once a year because they lose their potency over time.
- ½ cup milled flax seed
- ½ cup hulled hemp seeds
- 2 Tbsp ground cinnamon
- ½ cup apple juice
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- Combine the dry ingredients in a Magic Bullet, blender or food processor. Add the apple juice and coconut oil and process until fully combined and mostly smooth.
- Spread the batter out on a parchment lined cookie sheet until nice and thin - about 1/16 of an inch thick. Bake in a preheated 300 degree (F) oven for 15 minutes. Lower the heat to 250 degrees (F) and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and using a pizza cutter or knife, cut into squares about the size of the keys on your computer keyboard.
- Turn off the oven and put the cereal back inside for about an hour, or until it's crisp and breaks easily. If it's still soft, keep in the oven until completely dried out and crisp.
- Serve with unsweetened almond or coconut milk! SO good! Can't wait to hear what you guys think of it!
129 calories, 9g fat, 1.25g net carbs, 5g protein
New to the low carb lifestyle and need some help? Try my free 3 day kickstart plan to get into ketosis fast! Then follow it up with any of my 12 free weekly menu plans – complete with shopping and prep lists!
In other news, for a limited time I’m bundling my Amazon best-selling e-book The Gluten Free Low Carber with my first two issues of the IBIH ezine for only $9.99 – that’s a discount of over 50%!
You’ll get over 75 original recipes that can’t be found here on the blog for less than 15 cents each! And it’s some of my best work yet if I do say so! Need some low carb side dish recipes to complement your ham or turkey? Or some decadent low carb dessert recipes to WOW your guests??? I’VE GOT YOU COVERED!
Get more information on the books here, or simply click the Add to Cart button to download now!