We got hitched when I was just 20 and he was a whopping 21 years old. I’d totally frown on that now – shaking my head sadly and saying “those kids are way too young to get married!”
But when you know, you know – and we just knew. Marrying Mr. Hungry is the smartest decision I ever made, and I’ve never once regretted it.
For years now, we’ve been planning all sorts of elaborate trips that we’d take to mark our 20th year. Italy, South America, New Zealand – something epic! But our life has taken some interesting turns in the last few years, and our anniversary day was definitely different than what either of us would have predicted 5 years ago.
We have dinner plans with friends this weekend, and a trip to CT and NYC next month, but to mark the actual day we simply had what we’re calling a “family fun day.” We took Hungry Jr. to Chuck E Cheese, had lunch at Chipotle, hit the Barnes and Noble, the Asian Market, and a local thrift shop, and came home to hang out together.
Even though it wasn’t the epic journey we had planned, we are grateful to be healthy, happy, and together when so many families are not. Sometimes stripping down to the simple things, and time spent in each other’s company are all you need to appreciate how much you really have. And we have everything we could possibly ask for.
Except these muffins. Because I finished them all last week. And now there is a giant gaping hole in my morning where this muffin should be. Even my coffee tasted better when enjoyed alongside these muffins.
These muffins make everything better.
So regardless of your personal level of happiness with your life circumstances, you need to make these low carb and gluten free blueberry muffins ASAP.
If you’re already happy, these muffins will make you outright ecstatic. If your day is a little gloomy, one of these muffins will be like your own personal ray of sunshine. If you are outright irritated, these muffins will at least take the edge off and lessen the chances of your incarceration by day’s end.
I’m going to go out on a limb and say that EVEN GRUMPY CAT WOULD SMILE IF SHE ATE ONE OF THESE MUFFINS. They are that good.
- 6 Tbsp butter
- ¼ cup granulated sugar substitute
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup almond flour
- 2 Tbsp coconut flour
- pinch of salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp xanthan gum
- ⅓ cup almond milk
- ½ cup blueberries
- 2 Tbsp butter
- ½ cup almond flour
- 1½ Tbsp granulated sugar substitute
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 Tbsp coconut flour
- 2 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp granulated sugar substitute
- Cream the butter and sweetener together until smooth. Add the eggs, beating well after each. Add the vanilla extract and mix well. Combine the almond flour, coconut flour, salt, baking powder, and xanthan gum in a medium bowl. Add to the wet ingredients and mix well. Pour in the almond milk and blend until smooth. Stir in blueberries. Divide the batter between 6 greased muffin tins.
- Melt the butter and add the rest of the streusel ingredients. Stir until a dough forms. Using your fingers, crumble the streusel over the tops of the muffin batter.
- Bake the muffins at 375 degrees for about 22 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from the oven and cool.
- Whip the softened cream cheese with the splenda and lemon juice until smooth. Spoon into a ziploc bag and cut off the very tip with scissors. Squeeze the icing over the cooled muffins and serve.
(without streusel or icing: 255 calories, 23g fat, 4.3g net carbs, 8g protein)
Get all FIVE of my e-cookbooks (over 150 recipes), including my Amazon best selling book The Gluten Free Low Carber for just $19.99 for a limited time! You can get more information about what you can expect to find in each of them over on the Cookbooks page!
New to low carb? Get all the help you need to get started by following my free 3 Day Keto Kickstart, Weekly Keto Meal Plans, or trying the 5 Day Egg Fast Meal Plan for even quicker results!