If you’ve been hanging around IBIH awhile, you may remember that we rescued a kitten last year. You’ll be happy to know that she is thriving, spoiled by all of our neighbors, and a bane to all things small and rodent-like in our area.
Well this just in – yesterday we rescued another kitty (which means we now have four cats if you’re keeping count.) It was a skinny little thing following us around in the parking lot, meowing pitifully, and we just couldn’t resist it. Actually, I might have been able to stay strong, but Mr. Hungry had a cat that looked just like it growing up, so he was a goner.
It has the most amazing sea foam green eyes, and really is super cute. Apparently it can also read, because it saw clearly the words “giant softy” written across Mr. Hungry’s forehead, and seemed to zero in on us out of all the people in the parking lot as the ones who were most likely to take it home. Well played, kitty, well played.
I thought it was a girl, but after closer inspection it appears that it’s a boy after all. Mason named him Russell and he’s settling in nicely. I’ve already treated him with DE, got him a flea collar, and we’ll be scheduling a vet appointment ASAP to get him neutered and vaccinated. Cha-ching. *rolls eyes* My transformation into a crazy cat lady is almost complete. Stay tuned for our upcoming appearance on Animal Hoarders. (No, not really.)
Anyway, that’s all that’s new over here at the Hungry household – hope you guys had a great weekend!
And now it’s time for this week’s low carb Meatball Monday recipe, inspired by the turkey club sandwich. It’s basically a turkey meatball, stuffed with swiss cheese and wrapped in bacon – then drizzled with a garlicky red pepper aioli sauce. Yum.
Feel free to sub any cheese for the inside, or omit altogether it if you are avoiding dairy.
[pinterest text=”Swiss Cheese Stuffed Turkey Club Meatballs with Roasted Red Pepper Aioli (low carb and gluten free) by Mellissa Sevigny at ibreatheimhungry.com” layout=”horizontal” image=”http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/turkyclub2small-688×950.jpg”]
I served mine salad style with everything I’d typically want in a club sandwich – arugula (you could use any lettuce), avocado, tomatoes, and of course dill pickles on the side. If you are making this for family members that eat bread, you could turn these into a sub sandwich easily for them.
Hope you guys like them! Let me know if you have any meatball ideas that I can add to my constantly growing list! XO
[pinterest text=”Swiss Cheese Stuffed Turkey Club Meatballs with Roasted Red Pepper Aioli (low carb and gluten free) by Mellissa Sevigny at ibreatheimhungry.com” layout=”horizontal” image=”http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/turkyclub1small-687×950.jpg”]
- 1.25lb ground turkey
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup almond flour
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1 Tbsp parsley flakes
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2 oz swiss (or any) cheese, cut into ½ inch cubes
- 6 slices of bacon
- 12 toothpicks
- ⅓ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup roasted red peppers, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Combine all of the meatball mix ingredients in a medium bowl and mix thoroughly. Form into 12 meatballs, stuffing 1 cube of cheese into the center of each. Place the meatballs on a cookie sheet. Cut each slice of bacon into 4 equal lengths (2 - 3 inches long). Lay one piece of bacon over the top of each meatball and tuck under the bottom. Then lay a second piece crosswise over the top. Then use a toothpick through the side to hold the second piece of bacon in place. They should look similar to this.
- Bake at 375 for 20 minutes, then broil for about 2 minutes to crisp up the bacon.
- Combine the mayonnaise, roasted red peppers and garlic in a small blender or magic bullet. Puree until smooth and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve the meatballs with the sauce, with optional garnishes like lettuce, tomato, avocado and dill pickles. Enjoy!
Per "naked" meatball: 145 calories, 11g fat, .5g net carbs, 12g protein
Per "naked" serving (3): 343 calories, 33g fat, 1.5g net carbs, 35g protein
2 Tbsp aioli: 154 calories, 18g fat, .75g net carbs, 0g protein
Per serving (3) with aioli: 586 calories, 51g fat, 2.25g net carbs, 35g protein
[pinterest text=”Swiss Cheese Stuffed Turkey Club Meatballs with Roasted Red Pepper Aioli (low carb and gluten free) by Mellissa Sevigny at ibreatheimhungry.com” layout=”horizontal” image=”http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/turkyclub3small.jpg”]
For more great recipes download The Gluten Free Low Carber from Amazon.com today!