One of my favorite things about chicken is that it’s like a blank canvas. Neutral in flavor, you can do almost anything to it and it will taste amazing. So when Tyson® Fresh Chicken asked me to come up with a low carb recipe for you guys using their chicken, I knew it would be a fun (and delicious!) project.
Tyson Fresh Chicken requested that I use either their fresh Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts, Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast Tenderloins, or their Chicken Thighs – I chose the thighs without even a second’s hesitation. Chicken breasts and tenderloins are very versatile, but I prefer the thighs because of their higher fat content (important on keto) and their superior flavor – also crispy chicken skin is one of the best things on the planet. Amiright??? Since Summer is almost over and I’m super sad about it, I’m obsessed with squeezing every last bit of fresh produce out of the season before it’s time to “pumpkin flavor all of the things!”
My garden is currently loaded with basil and tomatoes, so making pesto-stuffed chicken thighs with a Caprese salad on the side seemed appropriate. You can use store-bought pesto with great results, but if you are overrun with basil like I am, why not make your own? Here’s one of my favorite basil pesto recipes – and it’s got a hint of lemon added, which gives it a nice lift.
If you aren’t a fan of basil, you could also try this recipe with my cilantro, walnut, and jalapeno pesto for a more Mexican flair.
This recipe is incredibly easy (I know you love that as much as I do) but loaded with flavor – perfect for a weeknight dinner now that the kids are getting ready to go back to school! Even if cooking isn’t usually your thing, I’m pretty sure you can handle this recipe.
Still worried? Here, I’ll even lay out the steps for you in photos.
Step 1 – Place your chicken thighs in an ovenproof dish and jam some pesto under the skin. Then rub the extra pesto all over the top of the skin. It should take 2 minutes and look like this. Step 2 – Bake chicken for 40 minutes at 400 degrees (F). Remove and serve. The end.
See? You got this.
Now I realize that not everyone loves chicken on the bone – and if that’s the case, Tyson® Fresh Chicken has you covered with their fresh hand-trimmed, boneless, skinless chicken thighs! You still get the luscious dark meat, but they’ve done all the hard work for you by removing the bones and skin! If using the boneless, skinless thighs, just reduce the cooking time by about 10 minutes.
This chicken also tastes great cold – for an easy low carb lunch during the week you can make a double batch, and then take the extra meat off the bone (or just use the Tyson® Fresh Chicken boneless, skinless thighs) and chop it up. Then just stir in some mayo and a little extra pesto if you have it. Viola! Pesto chicken salad – eat it plain or wrap it in some romaine leaves for extra crunch!
- 4 Tyson chicken thighs
- 3 Tbsp pesto
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1½ cups cherry tomatoes
- ½ cup fresh mozzarella, sliced or chopped
- 1 Tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- kosher salt and pepper to taste
- Trim the thighs of any extra skin and place in an ovenproof dish. Stuff about 1 tsp of pesto under the skin of each chicken thigh, then rub the rest of the pesto over the tops of the chicken. Season with salt and pepper. Drizzle with olive oil. Bake in a preheated 400 degree (F) oven for about 40 minutes. Remove and serve with Caprese salad.
- Combine all of the salad ingredients in a small bowl. Stir gently until fully combined.
1 Chicken thigh: 401 calories, 27g fat, 1g net carbs, 37g protein
1/2 cup Caprese salad: 100 calories, 9g fat, 1.5g net carbs, 4g protein
Find more meal ideas and recipes from Tyson Fresh Chicken here! To enter for a chance to win a fun kitchen gadget gift basket, leave a comment below letting me know what your favorite chicken dish is!
No duplicate comments.
You may receive (2) total entries by selecting from the following entry methods:
- Leave a comment in response to the sweepstakes prompt on this post
- Tweet (public message) about this promotion; including exactly the following unique term in your tweet message: “#SweepstakesEntry”; and leave the URL to that tweet in a comment on this post
- Blog about this promotion, including a disclosure that you are receiving a sweepstakes entry in exchange for writing the blog post, and leave the URL to that post in a comment on this post
- For those with no Twitter or blog, read the official rules to learn about an alternate form of entry.
This giveaway is open to US Residents age 18 or older. Winners will be selected via random draw, and will be notified by e-mail. The notification email will come directly from BlogHer via the sweeps@blogher email address. You will have 72 hours to respond; otherwise a new winner will be selected.
The Official Rules are available here.
This sweepstakes runs from 8/27 – 10/26.
Be sure to visit the Tyson Fresh Chicken brand page on BlogHer.com where you can read other bloggers’ posts!