This Easy Cheesy Zucchini Gratin has become a staple in our house! It’s cheesy and creamy, super easy to throw together, and the perfect low carb side dish for your keto diet!
When Mr. Hungry decided to join me on keto recently to drop a few pounds after our carb heavy trip to the states in October, I had mixed feelings about it. He said he was doing it to lose weight and support me in my keto efforts, but as you wives know – that usually means more work for us. “What can I eat?” “I’m starving, do we have any snacks?” “Did you eat all the bacon again?” (Yes, yes I did.)
Don’t get me wrong, Mr. Hungry does more than his fair share around the house, but cooking is mostly my department. And that would be fine – except he hates 90% or more of the things I love to eat on keto.
So while I would be perfectly happy throwing some Better than Potatoes Cheesy Cauliflower Puree in a bowl for myself and calling it dinner (which I do a lot) – he won’t touch anything that has cauliflower in it with a 10 foot pole.
Or broccoli, or spinach, or pretty much any vegetable that isn’t potatoes. Which makes it really hard to make keto friendly meals that he’ll actually eat.
Zucchini is on the list of less offensive but not his favorite (i.e. “I don’t love it, but it doesn’t make me want to kill myself”) vegetables that I sometimes sneak in there.
Those of you with picky eaters in the family know the struggle. Whether it’s finicky kids or veggie phobic spouses, making something that everybody will eat and like is a challenge sometimes.
I find that to be true of side dishes most of all. Who doesn’t love a good steak or roasted chicken? But coming up with tasty veggie side dishes that go with those main courses night after night can be a problem.
So when this Easy Cheesy Zucchini Gratin went down and everybody liked it – I mentally high fived myself and made it a regular thing. You’re going to want to do the same when you try it!
I used pepper jack cheese the first few times and we love the mild heat that it adds – but if you prefer cheddar I tried that too and it’s also delicious.
In fact, I’m pretty sure you can’t go wrong with almost any cheese in this dish – so you do you, it’s all good. 👊
Any time dinner goes on the table and nobody is whining or complaining??? That’s a win my friends – and I’ll take it! 💯
- 4 cups sliced raw zucchini
- 1 small onion, peeled and sliced thin
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1½ cups shredded pepper jack cheese
- 2 Tbsp butter
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees (F).
- Grease a 9x9 or equivalent oven proof pan.
- Overlap ⅓ of the zucchini and onion slices in the pan, then season with salt and pepper and sprinkle with ½ cup of shredded cheese.
- Repeat two more times until you have three layers and have used up all of the zucchini, onions, and shredded cheese.
- Combine the garlic powder, butter, and heavy cream in a microwave safe dish.
- Heat for one minute or until the butter has melted. Stir.
- Gently pour the butter and cream mixture over the zucchini layers.
- Bake at 375 degrees (F) for about 45 minutes, or until the liquid has thickened and the top is golden brown.
- Serve warm.
New to the low carb lifestyle and need some help? Try my FREE 3 day keto kickstart menu planto get into ketosis fast! Then follow it up with any of my 12 free weekly menu plans – complete with shopping and prep lists!
To get more fantastic keto recipes, download my super bundle of FIVE e-books for just $19.99!