Yesterday was a rough day. I did a bunch of cooking for the blog and it seemed like none of my concepts were coming out right. It was very discouraging to spend so much time, and make such a huge mess, and to feel like I got nowhere.
But in the end, things actually turned out OK – great in fact! This low carb biscuit recipe began as a savory churro idea, but they just weren’t coming out right. I finally chilled the dough enough for them to hold together in order to fry, but it still wasn’t great. I tried baking them like a cracker and it was ok, but not awesome. Finally, I tried baking them thicker, in biscuit form, and they were amazing! I was so excited I made this little sandwich for my lunch and fortunately had the restraint to snap some photos before I devoured it. It really did have all the characteristics of a great biscuit – crunchy and crumbly on the outside and soft and feathery on the inside. Slathered with sriracha mayo, ham, cheese, and avocado it made the perfect little sandwich.
There are so many possibilities for this recipe – other flavors, many, many sandwich/appetizer options (I had one with eggs and ham for breakfast today), a great accompaniment to soup or chili, – it goes on and on. I made another batch today just to make sure the recipe works, and even tried a few alterations and they were still awesome. Also great is that they freeze perfectly. I tested the theory last night and nuked one for 20 seconds this morning to go with my eggs, and it was perfect – maybe even better than yesterday if you can believe it. My freezer will never be empty of these from now on if I can help it. These are a game changer for me – I hope you will love them as much as I do! Feel free to omit the herbs or change them around to suit your flavor preference. As always, let me know what you think!
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp granulated sugar substitute
- 1 Tbsp butter
- ½ cup shredded extra sharp cheddar
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ¼ tsp dried thyme
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp celery salt
- ¾ cup coconut flour
- ¼ cup almond flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp xanthan gum
- 2 egg yolks
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- In a small saucepan bring the water to a boil along with the butter, sugar substitute, and cheddar cheese. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Meanwhile, combine the salt, pepper, oregano, thyme,garlic powder, celery salt, coconut flour, almond flour, baking powder and xanthan gum in asmall bowl and mix well. Add the dry ingredients to the liquid and stir until a dough forms. Add the egg yolks and stir until fully absorbed. Add the parmesan cheese and mix well - you may have to use your hands for this step.
- Divide the dough into 8 small (for traditional biscuit size) or 6 large (for hamburger bun size) balls and form into a biscuit shape (about 1 inch thick) with your hands. Place on a greased cookie sheet. Let the dough rest for at least 10 minutes.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 375 degrees (F) for 25 minutes or until golden brown and puffed. Cool slightly before serving.
For more great recipes download The Gluten Free Low Carber today!