I can’t believe I haven’t posted this recipe before now – it’s been a staple of my Whole 30 this month! It’s delicious and so easy to throw together! The chili itself is pretty simple and works with the Whole 30 or any low carb program. It’s the toppings that really make it sing though, because they add texture and freshness. I fry the plantain either in chip form or chopped up, which adds a hearty, crunchy element. The avocado adds creaminess, the cilantro an herby component, and the pineapple adds a sweet tartness that really pushes the flavors over the edge. The chopped habaneros and red onion are optional to add more heat and bite if you want it. If you’re counting carbs, you may want to omit the plantain and pineapple – in which case you can load it up with cheese & sour cream, and serve it with pork rinds for dipping.
- 1 cup salsa verde (sugar free)
- 1.25 lbs ground turkey or beef
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp chopped habanero or scotch bonnet (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Add all of the ingredients to a medium saucepan and cook for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Don't brown the meat first, add it right to the salsa and it absorbs the flavors while cooking.
- Low Carb - garnish with any or all of the following - cilantro, red onion, avocado, sour cream, cheddar cheese, chopped chilis, etc. Eat with a spoon or serve with pork rinds for dipping.
- Paleo/Whole 30 - garnish with any or all of the following - cilantro, red onion, avocado, fried plantains, chopped fresh pineapple, and chopped habaneros.
220 calories, 12g fat, 2g net carbs, 25g protein
Approximate nutrition info per serving of just chili, made with 85% lean beef:
314 calories, 21g fat, 2g net carbs, 26g protein
Hope you guys like this recipe, it’s one of my current favorites.
For more great recipes, download your copy of The Gluten Free Low Carber today!