Monte Cristo Breakfast Casserole (Low Carb and Gluten Free)

low carb breakfast recipe from mellissa sevignyWhen Jones Dairy Farm asked me to come up with a low carb and gluten free recipe using their delicious Canadian Bacon, I immediately thought of Eggs Benedict. It’s one of my favorite breakfasts, and I’ve been wanting to come up with a low carb version for awhile now (and I still plan to.)

Even though it’s delicious, Eggs Benedict seemed like a cop out for this challenge, because it’s what everyone thinks of when they think of Canadian bacon.

So I was wracking my brain to come up with another, more creative use for it, and I was reminded of a sandwich that we used to serve at a restaurant I worked in years ago – the Monte Cristo.

Typically a Monte Cristo is a ham and Gruyere (or Swiss) cheese sandwich that is then dipped in french toast batter and fried. The cool twist on it is that it’s served with warm maple syrup – so it hits all of the salty and sweet notes that I love.

Since the popular cream cheese pancakes recipe tastes so much like french toast, I thought it would make the perfect stand in for the bread portion. To keep it easy, I layered all of the ingredients and baked it like a casserole. Then you simply pour on the warmed sugar free syrup, which soaks into all of the layers. You can serve with additional syrup if you choose.

I particularly like the Jones Dairy Farm Canadian Bacon in this recipe because it’s much heartier and more substantial in texture than deli ham, but just as convenient! I definitely recommend trying it with the Canadian bacon if you can get it.

Because I love a runny egg on almost anything, I also added a poached egg to the top of mine – it was total breakfast bliss. The egg is optional, but I personally will take the egg every time. It’s amazing. My suggestion is to make the casserole and cut into portions. Then when you are reheating the leftovers, simply poach or fry an egg or two that morning to have with it.

monte cristo casserole recipe low carb[pinterest text=”Monte Cristo Breakfast Casserole – a low carb, gluten free, dairy free, keto friendly breakfast recipe from ibreatheimhungry.com” layout=”horizontal” image=”http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/montecristofg-700×700.jpg”]

If you are short on time or aren’t a fan of eggs, this casserole can also be enjoyed cold if you need breakfast or lunch on the go! Because of the cheese it holds together well and can literally be eaten with your hands and a napkin on your way out the door or even in the car.

Mr. Hungry and Hungry Jr. also really liked this recipe – it will be a staple at our house for the next few months at least. Hope you guys like it too – look for it on an upcoming Keto Menu Plan!

Monte Cristo Breakfast Casserole (Low Carb and Gluten Free)

Yield: 6 servings

Serving Size: 3.5 x 4 inch square

Monte Cristo Breakfast Casserole (Low Carb and Gluten Free)

A low carb and gluten free breakfast casserole recipe based on the classic Monte Cristo sandwich!

Ingredients

Instructions

• Grease a 9 x 9 baking dish and place a layer of 4 cream cheese pancakes on the bottom and halfway up the sides. Add a layer of Canadian Bacon, then sprinkle with 1/2 cup of cheese. Repeat 2 more times until you have three layers - the top layer being the cheese. Bake at 375 degrees (F) for 15 minutes, or until heated through. Remove from the oven and pour the warm syrup evenly over the top. Cut into 6 squares and serve. Optional - top with a runny poached or fried egg and additional sugar free syrup.

Notes

Approx nutrition info per serving: 376 calories, 24g fat, 4.5g net carbs, 32g protein

For each egg if using: 80 calories, 6g fat, .5g net carbs, 6g protein

breakfast casserole recipe from mellissa sevigny[pinterest text=”Monte Cristo Breakfast Casserole – a low carb, gluten free, dairy free, keto friendly breakfast recipe from ibreatheimhungry.com” layout=”horizontal” image=”http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/montecristo3small-700×458.jpg”]

Obligatory Disclaimer:  The Jones Dairy Farm products were provided to me at no charge, and I received monetary compensation for writing this post.  All recipes, photos and lame attempts at humor are my own.

[divider]

Superbowl is coming up this weekend!  Be sure to download the Winter issue of the IBIH ezine for some great appetizers and game day dips for your party!

25 low carb recipes for winter

Comments

1. Nancy Settel says

oh with a snow day today and I have everything here to make this I know what we are having for lunch!!! I have never not liked any of the recipes that I have tried. Always outstanding. Started back on my low carb diet with you maybe a few days later trying to cut out the Splenda as much as I have been using since it is such a slow go with weight loss and at first forcing myself to drink 100oz of water a day well okay that last quart is kind of a pain but willing to do it all to get this weight gone. Thank you for such beautiful recipes. nancy

Hi Nancy! Hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we all did – it’s definitely perfect snow day food! :) Sounds like you’re doing everything right – hang in there and keep us posted on your results!

2. brooke says

Thats so funny, because the only thing I have “changed” on your meal plan is that some mornings I take two cream cheese pancakes, deli ham and swiss and roll them up and add a tablespoon of sugar free raspberry jam!!!! TASTY!!!

3. janet says

Could add some sugar free Raspberry jam to complete the illusion of a Monte Cristo.
    The pancakes are very thin and could also be used as crepes – roll the ham & chees in them, then pour the sauce over. No need for extra eggs.

4. Eric says

Sounds like if you just topped it with Hollandaise sauce and the egg instead of the maple syrup, there’s your Eggs Benedict. This sounds great, too, by the way. I used to LOVE Monte Cristos, and now I can again. Thank you!

5. McDonna says

One more thing –

Would you kindly come up with a recipe for maple syrup, Melissa? I found one on another blog using birch xylitol (which does have a small number of carbs), stevia (the organic has no aftertaste or carbs) and xanthan gum. The flavor is really good, but the consistency is like gravy. Not very appetizing in appearance, although the taste is awesome. But I’m pretty sure you could tweak the recipe and kick it up to notches unknown! (And it doesn’t cost $11+! For syrup?! Yikes!)

After all, anyone who is twisted…er…talented enough to create an award-winning BACON CHOCOLATE CAKE could easily conquer maple syrup!

Thanks, Melissa! You’re the best.

6. Victoria says

I cooked pheasant last night and exchanged it for the chicken, making your gravy with bacon, sage and cider gravy and your corn and bacon muffins. It was delicious. I did wonder about using the cider as it was so high in carbs but it was only 1/4 cup. We had your chocolate cupcakes with the pudding filling and whip cream. I didn’t have the sf toffee so I toasted sliced almonds in Splenda and stacked some on top. Thank you Melissa for your great recipes. I’m so excited to try all of them!!

Thanks so much Victoria! So glad you are enjoying the ezine recipes! And yes, the cider in minimal amounts can be worked into recipes – and it adds so much yummy flavor! Love pheasant but it’s hard to get around here – I’ll be it was delicious with that cider gravy! Yum!!!!

7. Diane says

Wow! This was wonderful! I used to love the Monte Cristo. This has all the great flavors and more. i could serve this at a brunch and great rave reviews.
    Thanks Melissa!
    Back on track after two weeks of business travel. This recipe is a great way to Kick start the week.

The light in these photos (everything about these photos, actually) is amazing. I LOVE the one with the yolk coming out of the egg and the syrup coming down onto the egg. That one is really above and beyond.

9. Jennifer says

You are a Godsend!! I have been missing Monte Cristo sandwhiches since being diagnosed with celiac. And I love the cream cheese pancakes even though i am not a pancake fan, they are fabulous and I use them as crepes.

10. Jessica says

I am so glad I found this! First of all, the pancakes are such a huge treat for me right now since I’m not eating grains and this was just delicious. We all loved it. Can’t wait to use the pancake recipe again and make this again.

11. Debby says

I found your delicious sounding recipe and want to try it for Christmas morning. I am planning on doubling the recipe… so when I look at the Cream Cheese Pancakes and multiply that by 6 it suggests 12 tsp Stevia (with one packet=2 tsp, according to CookingWithStevia.com). They recommend, tho, using only 1/2 tsp bulk Stevia Blends for every packet….. What would you do? Use the 12tsp Stevia straight conversion, or drop down to 3 tsp? That’s a big difference!

Straight stevia will be much sweeter than a blend so you’ll use much less of than you would the blended, which measures more like real sugar. If you are making six batches then try about 1 tsp of pure stevia, or 2 Tbsp of the blended. If you’re using them in the monte cristo casserole, you don’t want them super sweet anyway so this should get you where you need to be. Enjoy!

I’ve been making the pancakes on and off over vacation, but I’m going to need something transportable for work starting back up tomorrow, this looks like a great idea! I’ll probably alternate this and the spinach fritata since it’s part of the week 1 meal plan already
    I also has a secret unholy love for Canadian bacon