It’s been a few weeks since I posted a new low carb Meatball Monday recipe, and we’re long overdue! I had a fantastic grilled and skewered meatball lined up for today, but it’s been raining nonstop for days here and I’m not in a grilling mood.
There’s nothing like cool, rainy, weather to put you in the mood for comfort food – and this lasagna inspired meatball recipe definitely fits the bill!
Growing up, my mom made lasagna pretty often – it was fairly economical and could feed a crowd easily. Every family has their own lasagna recipe, and my mom’s was never without some Italian sausage mixed into the meat sauce.
To get that authentic (to me) flavor in these meatballs, I did a half and half mix of Italian sausage and ground chuck for the meat mix.
Since my childhood lasagna memories wouldn’t be complete without lots of ricotta cheese, I also added generous dollops to the casserole before baking it.
There is obviously no pasta in this casserole, but it would be perfect served over either spaghetti squash or some spiralized zucchini “zoodles” to make a complete meal.
Easy to throw together and super satisfying to eat, this lasagna inspired meatball recipe is sure to become a new family favorite!
- 1 lb sweet or hot Italian sausage
- 1 lb ground chuck (or turkey if you prefer)
- ⅓ cup almond flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 Tbsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp dried oregano
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 cups keto marinara
- 1½ cups whole milk mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 cup whole milk ricotta cheese
- Combine all of the meatball ingredients in a medium bowl and mix thoroughly. Form into approximately thirty two 1.5" meatballs. Place the meatballs on a parchment lined baking sheet, and bake at 375 degrees (F) for 15 minutes.
- Place the meatballs in a casserole dish (13x9 should do) in a single layer. Pour half of the keto marinara sauce over the meatballs. Drop the ricotta cheese by generous teaspoonfuls evenly over the casserole. Pour the second half of the marinara sauce over the top. Sprinkle the mozzarella cheese over the entire thing. Bake for about 30 minutes at 375 degrees (F). Remove from the oven and let it cool for about five minutes before serving.
If you’re new to IBIH and like what you see, please subscribe to our newsletter, and/or like us on Facebook and you’ll be notified whenever I post something new!
New to Low Carb or Keto and not sure where to start? Check out my free 3 Day Keto Kick Start and Menu Plan – it contains everything you need to know to start losing weight fast on a low carb diet!
In other news, for a limited time I’m bundling my Amazon best-selling e-book The Gluten Free Low Carber with my first two issues of the IBIH ezine for only $9.99 – that’s a discount of over 50%!
You’ll get over 75 original recipes that can’t be found here on the blog for less than 15 cents each! And it’s some of my best work yet if I do say so! Bored with the same old low carb recipes? Looking for some new and delicious ways to keto on? I’VE GOT YOU COVERED!
Get more information on the books here, or simply click the Add to Cart button to download now!