I know it’s Monday which usually means a new low carb meatball recipe, but this week I’m doing that on Wednesday (and it’s a GREAT one btw!) So today I’m finally getting around to posting the low carb apple fritter recipe that I’ve been dying to share with you for over a month now!
These should have a warning posted along with them – they are dangerously delicious and super addicting! I made a batch almost every day for a week to test them out, and every person who tried them loved them!
They were so good that I wanted to just roam the streets handing them out to random people and saying “Hey try one of these low carb apple fritters – SO GOOD, RIGHT!?!?”
That would have been awesome…
Instead I mostly hoarded them to myself and had them with my coffee every morning. But if YOU try it let me know what everyone thinks. (You won’t. Sharing these is nearly impossible – trust me.)
Anyway, these are a little easier to execute than the low carb apple cider donuts recipe that I posted a few weeks ago because you just roll them into balls and fry them like donut holes. You still have to pack them pretty tight when rolling though, or the apple pieces can cause them to fall apart – make sure you chop the apples pretty small for that same reason.
Now once these apple fritters are out of the fryer, you’ll be tempted to just eat them like that (and you should go for it) but be sure to save some for the toppings because they make them EVEN BETTER!
You can either brush them with melted butter and then sprinkle with a sweetener/cinnamon mixture like the classic apple fritter…
OR, you can drizzle them with this easy low carb Bourbon Maple Caramel sauce to take them to the next level. I recommend eating them within an hour or so of adding the sauce though, or they start to get a little soft on the outside. Still great, just not really crunchy anymore.
Well I’m pretty sure that’s enough chitchat – now get thee to the kitchen! Then be sure to let me how they turned out!!!
- ½ cup coconut flour
- ¼ cup granulated sugar substitute
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 Tbsp Sugar Free Vanilla Protein Powder I use this one
- ¼ tsp xanthan gum see example
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- 2 eggs
- ⅔ cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 Tbsp butter, melted
- ½ cup finely chopped apples (approx ¼ inch pieces)
- oil for frying
- 2 Tbsp butter, melted
- ¼ cup granulated sugar substitute
- 1.5 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp bourbon
- ½ tsp maple extract
- ½ cup sugar free caramel sauce see example
- Combine the dry ingredients in a medium bowl. Whisk together the eggs, almond milk, and melted butter in a small bowl. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, then add the apples and stir well. Let sit for 2 minutes. Form into 12 tightly packed balls. Heat about 1 inch of oil in a heavy bottomed pan (cast iron works great) until about 350 degrees (F). Fry the fritters for 1 - 2 minutes per side or until golden brown and cooked through. Remove to a paper towel to drain any extra oil.
- Combine the cinnamon and sweetener in a small bowl. Brush the fritters with the melted butter, then roll in the cinnamon/sweetener mixture and place on a serving platter.
- Add the caramel sauce, maple extract, and bourbon to a small saucepan. Heat for about 3 minutes or until bubbling. Remove from heat and cool slightly. Drizzle while still warm over the fritters and serve.
Per naked fritter: 90 calories, 7g fat, 1.5g net carbs, 5g protein
Per fritter w/ cinnamon topping: 115 calories, 11 g fat, 2g net carbs, 5g protein
Per fritter w/ caramel sauce: 123 calories, 7g fat, 4g net carbs, 5g protein
Be sure to enter my October Vitamix Giveaway for your chance to win a brand new Vitamix 1782 Turboblend 2 speed blender!
New to the low carb lifestyle and need some help? Try my free 3 day kickstart plan to get into ketosis fast! Then follow it up with any of my 12 free weekly menu plans – complete with shopping and prep lists!
In other news, for a limited time I’m bundling my Amazon best-selling e-book The Gluten Free Low Carber with my first two issues of the IBIH ezine for only $9.99 – that’s a discount of over 50%!
You’ll get over 75 original recipes that can’t be found here on the blog for less than 15 cents each! And it’s some of my best work yet if I do say so! Need some low carb side dish recipes to complement your ham or turkey? Or some decadent low carb dessert recipes to WOW your guests??? I’VE GOT YOU COVERED!
Get more information on the books here, or simply click the Add to Cart button to download now!