My grill has been getting a workout this last couple of weeks, because the oven in the house we are renting leaks heat out of it like a sieve. It’s going to be problematic this summer when it really starts getting hot outside, and I’ll have to be really strategic with my baking times for low carb blog recipes over the next few months.
The good news is, this means tons of low carb grilling recipes coming your way – and probably a LOT of low carb ice cream and no bake dessert recipes as well. I’m pretty sure I won’t get any hostile emails complaining about this – but then again you never know.
First up in the IBIH Summer Grilling Series (I figure if I name it something official sounding it makes it more legit) is this delicious Grilled Chicken Souvlaki recipe.
It’s Greek in origin and flavored with lots of lemon, garlic, and fresh oregano. You don’t have to grill it (it can be baked or seared in a hot cast iron pan) but I love the complexity and layer of flavor that the slight char from grilling adds to it.
And of course you can impress your friends and family with gorgeous grill marks for the win.
This low carb Chicken Souvlaki recipe is really easy to make, but loaded with flavor from the marinating time. It’s perfect to throw together in the morning before work or school, then when you get home just toss it on the grill for a few minutes each side and dinner is served.
The yogurt sauce takes literally a minute or two to make and complements the chicken perfectly – but honestly if even that feels like too much work, the chicken is delicious on it’s own.
I don’t know about you guys, but I’m all about keeping it simple and fast in the Summertime especially, because it leaves more time for us to spend relaxing and hanging out with friends on the dock.
Also it leaves us time to go fishing after dinner, because the Hungry Dudes and I have a fierce competition raging over who can catch the biggest fish this Summer. So far Hungry Jr. is winning with a nice small mouth bass. I just spend an ungodly amount of money beefing up my tackle box with some fancy new lures though, so I’m optimistic that the title will be mine. I’ll keep you posted.
As a side note, if we catch some decent panfish I’ll post some recipes here for my fellow angling enthusiasts. And yes, they will probably be grilled. :/
- 1 lb chicken breast cut into strips
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp fresh oregano, chopped (or 1 tsp dried)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- ¾ cup Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp fresh oregano, chopped
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp granulated sugar substitute
- Combine the olive oil, lemon juice, red wine vinegar, oregano, garlic, salt, pepper, and dried thyme in a shallow, non-reactive dish. Add your chicken strips to the marinade and mix to coat well. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for 2 hours or more. Remove the chicken from the marinade and thread onto skewers (if using.) Preheat the grill and grill the chicken for about 2 minutes per side or until cooked through. Thicker pieces may take longer.
- Combine all of the yogurt sauce ingredients and stir well. Taste and adjust seasoning to your preference. Serve with the warm grilled chicken.
2 skewers of chicken: 157 calories, 5g fat, .5g net carbs, 26g protein
2 Tablespoons of yogurt sauce: 35 calories, 2g fat, 2g net carbs, 1g protein
Finally, I’ve got lots of great low carb and gluten free e-cookbooks out, and I’m currently running a special where you can get all five of them (over 150 recipes) for just $19.99! Get more information over on the Cookbooks page!