I struggled with what to call this dish, and finally settled on Cuban Pot Roast. Naturally low carb, it’s in the style of Ropa Vieja which is a Cuban dish usually made of skirt or flank steak and peppers.
Since I used a chuck roast it’s not completely authentic – though delicious and in my opinion better than with skirt steak which can get tough.
Calling it Cuban pot roast also makes it more accessible and less intimidating to tackle – and you will absolutely want to try this dish! Made in the crock pot, it’s incredibly easy to put together.
It’s also meltingly tender and oh so flavorful! I’ll be making this low carb Cuban pot roast recipe again and again – and I have a feeling you will too once you try it!
If you’re more into the classics, try my popular Easy Paleo Pot Roast recipe!
You can serve this Cuban Pot Roast in lettuce or cabbage leaves like a taco, or in a bowl like chili.
No matter how you eat it, it’s going to taste great! Serve with your choice of sour cream, guacamole, shredded cheese, chopped cilantro, chopped red onion or scallions, pickled jalapenos, etc.
Hope you guys like this one – I look forward to getting your feedback in the comments!
Cuban Pot Roast Recipe – Low Carb and Gluten Free
A low carb Cuban Pot Roast recipe in the style of Ropa Vieja.
- Yield: 10 servings
- 2.5 – 3 lb boneless chuck roast
- 1/2 cup salsa verde
- 1/2 cup canned chopped green chilis
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp dried onion flakes
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 cup red and yellow peppers cut into strips
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Generously season the roast with salt and pepper. Sear in a hot pan until browned on all sides. Place the meat in the bottom of a 5qt crock pot (slow cooker). Add the salsa verde, chilis, and tomatoes to the pan you seared the meat in. Deglaze and bring to a boil. Pour over the meat in the crock pot. Add the onion flakes, garlic, peppers, salt, cumin, coriander, oregano, chili powder, black pepper, and apple cider vinegar and stir. Cook for 4hrs on high, or 6hrs on low (or until the meat is tender). Shred the meat and serve with your choice of toppings.
Approximate nutrition info per serving: 271 calories, 19g fat, 2g net carbs, 20g protein
- Serving Size: approximately 1 cup
Looking to drop some pounds and need help getting the hang of a low carb / ketogenic diet?? Try my free 3 day keto kickstart and weekly menu plans and join the thousands of people who have lost weight successfully following the delicious IBIH meal plans and shopping lists! Did I mention that it’s completely free?!?!
You can also download all five of my ebooks, loaded with tasty original low carb recipes in a special bundle for just $19.99!!!