If you’re a fan of my egg fast fettuccine alfredo then you’re going to L.O.V.E. this Cajun Chicken Pasta recipe! Homemade low carb fettuccine noodles and tender chunks of chicken are smothered in a spicy Cajun cream sauce that will make you weep with joy. Seriously.
Cajun chicken pasta is one of Mr. Hungry’s favorite meals. In fact, he’d order it out several times a month from a restaurant near our house in Connecticut years ago. It used to drive me nuts that he’d never change his order – I love to try something new every time, but once he finds something he likes, he’ll order it over and over again. Such was the case with this particular Cajun chicken pasta.
Eventually I decided to start making it at home because I liked it too and it was easy to re-create. It was also saving us money, since the restaurant version was about $16.00 and I could make it just as good at home for both of us for less than $5.00 – it was a no-brainer really.
When I went low carb years ago, I stopped making pasta at home except on special request, and I hadn’t even thought of this recipe for years. We were actually living here in Belize and on a recent trip to the mainland we ate at a restaurant that had a Cajun chicken pasta on the menu!
Neither one of us ordered it, but it stayed on my mind and I decided to make it for Mr. Hungry when we got home. I just knew the Cajun chicken pasta would work with the Fettuccine noodles I’d created for the Egg Fast awhile back and I couldn’t wait to try it.
I finally got around to experimenting with it right before our trip to the states, and as soon as I tasted it I knew it was a winner!
I’ll be honest with you – the low carb noodles can be temper-mental to make. The best way is to bake them on parchment paper and then peel them back gently before slicing them. Depending on your oven it could take several minutes more or less than it took me to get them to the right consistency. Even if they don’t come out pretty, the flavor and texture is fantastic so don’t despair!
This Cajun chicken pasta makes a great family meal when you’re cooking for both “normal” eaters and those following a low carb diet. Just make the chicken and sauce the usual way and serve it over regular pasta for the ones who don’t eat low carb.
Cajun Chicken Pasta – Low Carb & Gluten Free
Homemade low carb fettuccine noodles and tender chunks of chicken are smothered in a spicy Cajun cream sauce that will make you weep with joy. Seriously.
- Yield: 4 servings
- Category: Low Carb Main Dish
- Cuisine: Cajun
For the Cajun chicken:
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 lb chicken cutlets
- 1 tsp cajun seasoning
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterrey jack (or other) cheese
- 1 oz cream cheese
- 1 tsp cajun seasoning (or more to taste)
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
For the fettuccine:
- 8 eggs
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
To make the Cajun chicken:
- Season the chicken cutlets with cajun seasoning on both sides.
- Melt 1 Tbsp butter in a large saute pan.
- Cook the chicken in the butter for about 2 minutes per side (or until just cooked through)
- Remove chicken and set aside.
- Add remaining Tbsp butter and minced garlic to the pan.
- Cook garlic for 1-2 minutes or until fragrant.
- Add the tomatoes to the pan and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the wine and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth and cajun seasoning and cook for five minutes.
- Whisk in the heavy whipping cream, cream cheese and shredded cheese. Keep stirring over medium heat until thick and bubbly – about 2 minutes.
- Add the scallions and chopped cilantro and remove from heat.
To make the fettuccine:
- Blend the eggs, cream cheese, salt, garlic powder, and pepper in a blender.
- Let the batter rest for 5 minutes, then pour into a parchment-lined and greased sheet pan approximately 18 x 13. (You can use a 13 x 9 and do two batches if necessary.)
- Bake at 325 for 8 – 10 minutes or until just set.
- Remove and let cool for about 5 minutes.
- Using a spatula, gently release the sheet of “pasta” from the pan or parchment paper.
- Roll it up and slice with a sharp knife into 1/8 inch thick slices. Gently unroll and set aside.
- Divide the pasta into four servings and top with 4 oz chicken and 1/3 cup of sauce.
Serving size 1 generous cup pasta, 4 oz chicken, approximately 1/3 cup sauce
- Calories: 543
- Fat: 39
- Carbohydrates: 4g net
- Protein: 46
To get more great recipes for fall or anytime, download my super bundle of FIVE e-books for just $19.99!