Welcome back to Meatball Mondays! This week’s low carb meatball recipe is inspired by my favorite summer salad – the Caprese. It’s traditionally a simple salad of luscious tomatoes, fragrant summer basil, fresh mozzarella, and olive oil. It’s the kind of thing I can’t get enough of in the summertime, when I can pick the basil and tomatoes right from my garden, and eat them still warm from the sun.
In order to pack all of that flavor into these meatballs, I used sun-dried tomatoes rather than fresh, chopped basil, and shredded mozzarella as the primary flavors. I also added a little garlic powder to give them more depth. I considered some dried oregano as well, which probably would have been tasty, but I didn’t want it to compete with the flavor of the basil.
These are extra crunchy (always a good thing) because the cheese melts to the outside and forms a nice crust.
[pinterest text=”Caprese Meatballs (low carb and gluten free) – ibreatheimhungry.com” layout=”horizontal” image=”http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/capreseballssmall-670×950.jpg”]
Delicious on their own, they would be equally tasty in marinara sauce.
They also make an adorable low carb appetizer threaded onto skewers with fresh mozzarella, basil leaves and cherry tomatoes. Just a note, if you are planning to skewer them, make them a bit smaller – you should get about 24 meatballs if you’re making them appetizer sized.
[pinterest text=”Caprese Meatballs (low carb and gluten free) – ibreatheimhungry.com” layout=”horizontal” image=”http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/capreseballs4small-700×945.jpg”]
Drizzle them with a little bit of extra virgin olive oil and kosher salt, and they will disappear FAST!
[pinterest text=”Caprese Meatballs (low carb and gluten free) – ibreatheimhungry.com” layout=”horizontal” image=”http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/capreseballs3small-700×846.jpg”]
Caprese Meatballs (Low Carb & Gluten Free)
A fantastic low carb meatball recipe inspired by the Caprese Salad.
- Yield: 16 meatballs
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 cup shredded whole milk mozzarella
- 2 Tbsp sun dried tomatoes, chopped
- 2 Tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- 2 Tbsp olive oil for frying
- Combine all ingredients except the olive oil in a medium bowl, and mix thoroughly. Form into 16 meatballs. Heat the olive oil in a large nonstick saute pan. Add the meatballs to the hot oil about 1 inch apart (you may have to do two batches) and cook over low/medium heat for about 3 minutes per side or until cooked through. Because the cheese melts out a bit, be careful that they don’t burn – if they appear to be getting dark quickly, then turn down the heat and cook them at a lower temp. Serve alone, with marinara sauce, or on skewers with fresh mozzarella, basil leaves, and cherry tomatoes. Enjoy!
Approximate nutrition information:
Per meatball: 78 calories, 6g fat, .5 net carbs, 6g protein
Per serving (4): 310 calories, 22g fat, 2g net carbs, 26g protein
- Serving Size: 4 meatballs
[pinterest text=”Caprese Meatballs (low carb and gluten free) – ibreatheimhungry.com” layout=”horizontal” image=”http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/capreseballs2small-660×950.jpg”]
Hope you guys like these! As always I love your feedback on the recipes, and your ideas for more meatball makeovers! Have a great week Peeps!!
For more great recipes, download your copy of The Gluten Free Low Carber today!162