Cheese. So versatile. So delicious. So perfect for low carb, high fat and keto dieting. I’ve made no secret of the fact that I love cheese in all its forms – and I know most of you guys are right there with me. This keto Cheesy Chicken Stuffed Poblano recipe is hearty, super cheesy (of course), slightly spicy, and very, very satisfying!
I chose to use store bought rotisserie chicken to make this recipe incredibly simple to throw together on a weeknight. Now if you are looking for a way to make this even easier, there is no need to stuff the peppers with the mixture (though I recommend it because it’s awesome!)
You can simply stir some chopped roasted poblanos (or canned green chilis if you really want to get lazy about it) into the cheesy chicken mixture and bake it in a casserole dish! Just as tasty, but not quite as impressive visually.
This keto cheesy chicken stuffed poblano recipe is excellent for my fellow low carbers, but I can pretty much guarantee that the rest of the family will love it too! To round this out for the carb eaters in the house, you could serve it with some rice, corn or flour tortillas, or even just some tortilla chips.
Dinner = done. 🙌
In addition, this keto cheesy chicken stuffed poblano recipe reheats really really well (I ate it three days in a row so you can trust me on this one, it just got better and better), so it’s perfect to make ahead and take for lunch if you have a microwave handy to reheat it.
Cheesy Chicken Stuffed Poblanos – Low Carb and Gluten Free
A Mexican inspired keto chicken stuffed pepper recipe that is easy to make and satisfying to eat. Keto, LCHF, and Atkinds diet friendly – but guaranteed to be a hit with the entire family!
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- 4 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1/3 cup tomato based salsa
- 1/2 cup full fat sour cream
- 1/4 cup scallions, chopped
- 2 Tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 cup Kraft sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup Kraft Colby Jack cheese, shredded
- 6 medium poblano peppers
- Combine the shredded chicken, salsa, sour cream, scallions, cilantro, 3/4 cup cheddar and 3/4 cup colby jack cheese (reserve 1/4 cup of each cheese for topping) in a large bowl. Mix thoroughly and set aside.
- Wash and spread the whole poblano peppers on a cookie sheet. Set under the oven broiler on high for about 3 minutes per side, or until the skin is blackened. Remove and cover with a clean towel for 10 minutes to steam and cool.
- Remove the towel and peel the skins from the peppers. Then gently cut the peppers down one side and remove the seeds and pith. Stuff each pepper with about 3/4 cup of the cheese and chicken mixture. Then divide the remaining cheese over the tops of the peppers. Bake at 375 degrees (F) for 20 minutes. Remove and serve hot with additional sour cream salsa, green onions and cilantro if desired.
Alternative Casserole method:
- Combine the shredded chicken, salsa, sour cream, scallions, cilantro, 3/4 cup cheddar and 3/4 cup colby jack cheese (reserve 1/4 cup of each cheese for topping) in a large bowl. Mix thoroughly and set aside. Roast, peel, seed, and chop 2 whole poblano peppers and add to the mixture – OR – stir in one can of chopped green chilis. Spoon into a casserole dish and sprinkle on the reserved cheese. Bake in a 375 degree (F) oven for about 30 minutes or until bubbling. Remove and serve hot with additional sour cream salsa, green onions and cilantro if desired.
- Serving Size: 1 stuffed pepper or 1/6th of the casserole
- Calories: 386
- Fat: 23g
- Carbohydrates: 3g net
- Protein: 38g
New to Keto and need help getting started?? Try following my 12 weeks of free keto menu plans, starting with the 3 Day Keto Kickstart and Keto FAQs!
Or if you’re already on keto but want to boost your results, try the wildly popular and effective IBIH 5 Day Keto Soup Diet and drop as much as 10 pounds!
Don’t believe me? Check out the comments section on that post for testimonials or join the IBH 5 Day Soup Diet Facebook Group and ask around to see firsthand the amazing results people are getting!!!