I’ll be honest, this post is more about the pictures than the recipe. Because seriously, Vegetarians aside, who doesn’t love looking at photos of roasted meat?
Not this chick – I could stare at these pictures all day!
It’s like a beautiful, meaty landscape where crispy crust meets tender, succulent shreds of porky goodness! And of course I actually got to eat it – the memory of which almost brings a tear to my eye. It was pork-tastic!
Excuse me while I indulge this memory with a moment of silence……
Soooo you’re probably wondering how you can recreate this masterpiece of Porcine perfection, and the good news is, I’m here to tell you!
This roasted pork recipe is so easy, there is no excuse not to be putting this on your dinner menu ASAP! All you need is time – for some of you that will mean making it on the weekend but it’s totally worth it, I promise! And once you shred the meat, it can be used for all kinds of delicious dishes.
I served it to our guests with corn tortillas, salsa verde, chopped cilantro, lettuce, sliced avocado, Greek yogurt and shredded cheddar cheese. It was a huge hit!
Since I’m doing the Whole 30 this month I ate mine salad style with no dairy – it still tasted amazing!
I ate the leftovers cold out of the fridge for 2 days and then I put the rest in the freezer where it’s destined to turn into a green chili sometime later this month.
You don’t have to go the Mexican route either – this easy roasted pork shoulder would be equally tasty served alongside Cheesy Cauliflower Puree and your favorite vegetable side dish or salad.
Easy Roasted Pork Shoulder
An easy roasted pork shoulder recipe that results in tender meat and super crispy skin! Whole 30, Paleo, Keto, Low Carb
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 hours
- Total Time: 5 hours 5 minutes
- Yield: 15 servings
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: Roast
- 8-10 lb pork shoulder
- Spice rub:
- 2 Tbsp Kosher salt
- 1 Tbsp ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp onion powder
- 2 Tbsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp dried oregano
- Combine all of the ingredients for your spice rub in a small bowl.
- Remove pork shoulder (or other pork roast) from packaging and rinse under cold water. Using your hands, pat the dry rub all over the surface of the meat. Place in a large roasting pan skin side up. Roast uncovered in a preheated 500 degree (F) oven for 20 minutes. Reduce heat to 300 degrees and roast for an additional 30 minutes per pound.
- Total cooking time for an 8lb roast should be about 4hrs and 20 minutes. Remove the pork roast from the oven and let rest for 30 minutes. The hard outer shell should lift right off like a cap and can be broken or chopped into delicious meat chips! The meat should be tender enough to pull apart with forks. Shred, adjust seasoning if necessary, and serve!
- Serving Size: 4 oz
- Calories: 275
- Fat: 15g
- Carbohydrates: 0g
- Protein: 33g
Keywords: pork, pulled pork, roasted pork, roasting, whole 30, paleo,
Had a little too much fun and need to drop some pounds? Get started today with my free low carb and keto menu plans to kick start your weight loss in 2015!
Can’t get enough delicious low carb recipes? Download all five of my e-cookbooks (over 150 delicious low carb recipes) for just $19.99 for a limited time!