I wasn’t always a fan of lemon flavored desserts – in fact, as a kid I wouldn’t even eat them. In my adulthood though, I’ve come to appreciate the brightness that lemon imparts to a dessert – especially in low carb recipes, and now I can’t get enough of it.
I would even go so far as to say that when given the choice of lemon over chocolate, 75% of the time the lemon flavored dessert would win out. Crazy, I know – sometimes I can’t believe it either!
So maybe it’s due to all of the pastel colored foodie magazines showing up in my mailbox, and the promise of Spring and warmer weather just around the corner, but I’ve had lemons on the brain for weeks now.
It started with the Easy Crock Pot Lemon Chicken a couple of weeks ago, then I made the Low Carb Avgolemeno (Greek Lemon Chicken Soup) last week, and just the other day I made Carolyn’s (All Day I Dream About Food)low carb Meyer Lemon Mug Cake (which took about five minutes and was SO GOOD) – you guys must try it!
Even Mr. Hungry really loved it – I’ll be making that one over and over again for sure!
Anyway, during my crazed obsession with all things lemon last week, I also made these awesome low carb shortbread cookies, which I adapted from this recipe. They did NOT disappoint!
These keto shortbread cookies require just four ingredients and have an addicting lemon flavor and crusty shortbread texture that I absolutely love!
Be sure to use a sweetener that is advertised to bake like sugar (Swerve, Granulated Splenda, Ideal, etc.) and not a liquid sugar free sweetener, or they may not hold together properly. Also important is that you chill these low carb shortbreads first if you’re going to cut them into cookies, otherwise they will crumble apart and be impossible to work with.
This versatile low carb shortbread dough also makes a lovely low carb tart base or keto pie crust, which does not require pre-chilling. You simply press it into your pan and bake it for 15 minutes.
I’ll also be posting a gorgeous low carb Blueberry & Mascarpone tart I made with it in the near future, so stay tuned for that!
A versatile low carb shortbread dough that makes beautiful keto shortbread cookies, or the perfect low carb shortbread crust for a summer fruit tart or lemon meringue pie!
- 6 Tbsp butter
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1/3 cup granulated sweetener (Splenda, Ideal, Swerve, etc.)
- 1 tsp freshly grated lemon zest
- Melt the butter in the microwave or a small saucepan.
- Add the almond flour, sweetener, and lemon zest, stirring until fully combined.
- To make a tart or pie crust:
- No need to pre-chill, just press dough into tart or pie tins. Bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees (F) for 15 mins until firm and golden brown.
- To make the cookies:
- Form dough (it will be crumbly, this is normal) into a cylinder and wrap tightly with plastic wrap to compress.
- Chill in freezer for 30 minutes or until firm, or in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
- With a sharp knife, slice into 1/2 inch thick cookies (if they crumble apart your dough isn’t cold enough).
- Bake in a preheated oven @ 350 degrees (F) on a greased or parchment lined cookie sheet for 15 minutes, or until firm and golden brown.
- Allow to cool before removing.
Approx nutrition info per 1/8th tart crust: 238 calories, 23g fat, 3g net carbs, 6g protein
- Category: low carb cookies
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 119
- Fat: 11g
- Carbohydrates: 1.6g net
- Protein: 3g
If, like me, you can’t get enough lemon flavored low carb desserts this time of year either, you can also check out my Sugar Free Pavlova’s with Lemon Curd and low carb Lemon, Thyme & Chevre Cheesecakes.
For more great recipes, you can also download The Gluten Free Low Carber e-cookbook which is now available for both Kindle and Nook!!