I love peanut butter cookies! Hands down they are my favorite. And Nutter Butter’s are my own personal kryptonite. I don’t even buy them for the rest of the family because it would just be torture to have them in the house.
- For the cookies:
- 1 cup sliced water chestnuts
- 2 Tbsp butter, softened
- 1/2 cup peanut butter*
- 3 tsp stevia sweetener
- 1/4 cup flax meal
- 1/3 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- For the filling:
- 1/3 cup peanut butter*
- 3 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 tsp stevia sweetener
- Combine the softened butter, peanut butter, water chestnuts and stevia in a blender or food processor – blend until smooth. Scrape the mixture into a medium bowl.
- In a small bowl, combine the flax meal, coconut flour, baking powder, baking soda and pinch of salt, stirring until well mixed.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until a stiff dough forms. Chill for 1/2 an hour so it’s easier to work with.
- Roll into 18 balls and place on a greased or parchment lined cookie sheet. Press down with a fork to make the traditional cross hatch designs. Bake in a preheated 375 degree (F) oven for 15 minutes. Remove and cool.
- To make the filling: blend your softened cream cheese and stevia until fluffy. Add your room temperature peanut butter* and blend until fully combined.
- To assemble the cookies: Spread the filling mixture onto 9 of the cookie halves, then press the remaining 9 cookie halves onto the top.
*Next time I would make these with almond butter because it lessens the net carbs by almost 20 grams in the total recipe. So if you are really strict with your carbs or are just avoiding legumes, you can substitute equal amounts of almond butter (or any nut butter of your choice) for the peanut butter.
**if you use almond butter in place of peanut butter it’s only 3g net carbs per assembled sandwich cookie.
Approximate nutrition info per single cookie (without filling):
54 calories, 4g fat, 1.4g net carbs, 2g protein
- Serving Size: 1 sandwich
- Calories: 221
- Fat: 19g
- Carbohydrates: 5g net
- Protein: 7g