Chicken and Mushrooms are a classic pairing that just seems meant to be amiright? I guess some of you mushroom haters would disagree – but otherwise I’m hoping the rest of you are still with me!
Growing up my brother hated mushrooms to an extreme degree, so my mom rarely cooked with them. It was unfortunate for me, because I’ve always loved mushrooms, so when I got old enough to do my own cooking, I started experimenting with all of the delicious ways they could be prepared.
I’m grateful that Hungry Jr. is like me and not my brother, he is a big fan of mushrooms – especially any time they are fried in butter.
Which makes this easy skillet chicken & mushrooms recipe a hit at our house every time!
I typically use tarragon in this recipe when I make it, but this summer I experimented with savory and it was a completely different flavor that we really loved.
If you can’t find the savory though, tarragon, or almost any other fresh herb (basil, oregano, thyme, or even dill) will work great in this versatile chicken recipe.
With just a few delicious whole food ingredients, this recipe is not only low carb and keto friendly, but dairy free (replace butter with coconut oil or olive oil), egg free, and nut free – not to mention Paleo and Whole 30 approved (with a few minor adjustments – use ghee instead of butter and make sure your mustard contains no wine) as well!
As far as serving suggestions go, I probably don’t have to tell you that this skillet chicken & mushrooms recipe is amazing served over my “Better than Potatoes” Cheesy Cauliflower Puree, but I’ll say it anyway!
Whatever you serve it with, this low carb skillet chicken & mushrooms recipe is sure to be a hit – unless someone in your family is a fungi-phobe like my brother.
In which case I highly recommend my Easy Paprika Chicken with Sour Cream Gravy instead – it’s also delicious and totally mushroom free!
This easy and delicious chicken recipe is not only low carb, but also dairy free, egg free, nut free, keto, Paleo, and even Whole 30 approved with a few minor adjustments! Did I mention easy??
- 1/4 cup butter (ghee for whole 30)
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- Four large chicken thighs
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard (alcohol free mustard for whole 30)
- 1 tablespoon Summer savory or fresh tarragon, chopped
- Season the chicken thighs with salt, pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of the butter in a heavy bottomed sauté pan, preferably cast-iron.
- Sear the chicken thighs on both sides until golden brown – about three or four minutes per side. Remove the chicken thighs from the pan.
- Add the remaining 3 tablespoons of butter to the pan and melt. Add the mushrooms to the pan and cook until golden brown, stirring as little as possible for about 4-5 minutes.
- Add the water and Dijon mustard to the pan, and stir to deglaze.
- Add the chicken thighs back to the pan, skin side up.
- Cover and simmer for 15 minutes until the chicken is cooked through.
- Stir in the fresh herbs and let it sit for five minutes before serving. Serve hot.
Approx nutrition info per serving: 447 calories, 31g fat, 1g net carbs, 37g protein
- Category: Low Carb Chicken Recipe
- Cuisine: American
Had a little too much fun and need to drop some pounds? Get started today with my free low carb and keto menu plans to kick start your weight loss in 2016!
Can’t get enough delicious low carb recipes? Download all five of my e-cookbooks (over 150 delicious low carb recipes) for just $19.99 for a limited time!