Before I get to the yummy latkes recipe, I just have a few updates for you…
First, my microwave crisis is over thanks to my generous in-laws who surprised me with a new one this week. They were already the best in-laws ever, but this definitely edges them into in-law super star status! Thanks so much guys, love you bunches! But no, I won’t be popping out another grandchild for you anytime soon – there is a limit to what I’m willing to do to show my gratitude! ;) XO
Second, a quick update on my Whole 30 experience as we near the halfway point. I feel like I’m finally over the detox symptoms, which were not fun but also not horrible. I noticed this morning that the whites of my eyes are super clear and bright which is cool. My skin looks great, and with a few exceptions I generally have plenty of energy. The stiffness in my hands is still there but is much less noticeable and I hope that over time it will continue to dissipate. Also, I dropped 5 pounds in the first week – I know you aren’t supposed to weigh yourself but what can I say, I’m a rebel like that!
And now finally, we get to this delicious latke recipe that is totally Whole 30 compliant! These were easy to make and SO tasty! Crispy on the outside and sweet and slightly starchy on the inside, they went great with a poached egg for my breakfast. These latkes would also go great as a dinner side dish to pretty much any meat or poultry. It’s a great way to sneak some extra veggies into your kids menu – my five year old even liked them!
- 1 cup shredded zucchini
- 1 cup shredded sweet potato
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 Tbsp coconut flour
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp dried parsley
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 Tbsp ghee or clarified butter
- 1 Tbsp EV olive oil
- Combine the zucchini, sweet potato and egg in a medium bowl.
- In a small bowl, mix the coconut flour and spices together. Add the dry ingredients to the zucchini mixture and stir until fully combined.
- Heat the ghee and olive oil in a medium nonstick pan. Divide the mixture into four equal portions and drop into the pan, pressing down with a fork until a ½ inch thick cake is formed. Cook on medium heat until golden and crisp, then flip carefully and cook the other side. Remove to a plate lined with paper towels to drain.
- Season with an additional sprinkle of kosher salt. Serve hot.