Raise your hand if you love cheese! Just kidding, put it down….you know I can’t really see you right???
Don’t worry though, I know how you feel. I felt your fervent love of cheese from all the way over here. Because who doesn’t love cheese? Even people who can’t eat cheese WISH they could.
What’s not to like, really? Cheese makes everything better, and that’s a fact.
Recipes containing cheese practically write themselves because I can literally start with cheese, open my fridge and grab 5 other random things to add to that cheese and BAM! Delicious.
I put a little more effort into it than that for this recipe, but not much (shhh, don’t tell anyone.)
My one caution about buying pre-shredded cheese is that you should be aware that all shredded cheese has added starch to coat the shreds and keep them from sticking together in the package. That can add a gram or two of carbs per serving, so if you are on a very low carb diet (20g or less) you may want to opt for the block and shred it yourself at home.
Another option is sliced cheese – I sometimes just layer the slices in a casserole recipe like this one, or the Easy Cheesy Cauliflower Gratin, which uses slices of pepper jack cheese. Loaded with flavor and super easy to throw together, you definitely need to check that recipe out if you haven’t already!
This casserole recipe has a spaghetti squash base, then a layer of cheese, a layer of sour cream, a layer of chili, and then more cheese (of course.) It’s hearty and satisfying, but not so heavy that it will weigh you down.
I like mine sprinkled with cilantro, but that’s completely optional. You can also serve it alongside some salsa, additional sour cream, and guacamole or slices of avocado (sadly, mine weren’t ripe yet so they didn’t make the photos.)
Whether you eat it as or garnish it with your favorite chili toppings, this one is going to be a hit with the whole family!
- 1 lb lean ground beef (or turkey)
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 Tbsp chopped chipotles in adobo (optional)
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ½ cup prepared salsa
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 cups cooked spaghetti squash
- 2 tbsp butter, melted
- ¾ cup sour cream
- 1¾ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- chopped cilantro (optional)
- sour cream, salsa, avocado to serve (optional)
- In a medium saucepan brown the ground meat seasoned with salt and pepper. Pour off any extra fat and discard. Add the rest of the chili ingredients and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- In a medium bowl combine the cooked spaghetti squash and melted butter, tossing to coat. Season generously with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread the squash out in a 12 - 14 inch casserole dish. Sprinkle with ¾ cup of shredded cheese. Spread the sour cream over the cheese layer. Spoon on the chili and spread it out, leaving a 1 inch border of spaghetti squash around the edge. Top with the remaining 1 cup of shredded cheese. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with cilantro and serve with sour cream, salsa, and guacamole or avocado slices as desired.