Today I’m throwing back to an old American classic with this Keto Salisbury Steak & Mushroom Gravy Recipe. Did you know the Salisbury steak was invented by a physician named J.H. Salisbury, who was a pioneer in the low carb diet field? Me either – thank you Wikipedia.
My earliest memory of Salisbury Steak was back when we were kids and we’d beg my mom, who cooked everything from scratch, to let us get frozen “TV dinners” as an occasional treat. They came in a disposable aluminum container that had little partitions with a protein, a starch (usually mashed potatoes – instant), a veggie like corn or peas, and a little square of dessert.
Do any of you remember those days? When you had to bake them in the oven because there were no microwaves, and it took FOREVER (like 45 minutes!) for them to be ready!?
The struggle was real.
Anyway, my favorite was the Salisbury steak – mostly because it came with the cherry pie which was my preferred dessert option. The steak itself was basically a hamburger with gravy on it, which wasn’t nearly as offensive as the awful gelatinous round slices of fake turkey with gravy that my brothers usually got (they preferred the apple pie) so I didn’t really mind.
I hadn’t thought about it in years, until I was working as a cook for large groups of volunteers and one of the things on the menu that we made all the time was, you guessed it, Salisbury Steaks!
We were on a tight budget there so it was a good way to feed a crowd, but the name bugged me because YOU’RE NOT FOOLING ANYONE – it’s a hamburger with gravy on it people!!!
Still, we managed to make them tasty and they were usually a hit with a big pile of mashed potatoes.
Here in Belize, it’s not easy to get a good steak – especially on our island, so we’ve been eating more chicken and ground beef lately. Hungry Jr. has always liked steak with mushrooms and onions, so recently I decided to try out a keto Salisbury Steak on him.
We all enjoyed it – but even he commented, “This isn’t real steak mom, it’s a burger with gravy on it.”
The misleading name aside, this keto Salisbury Steak recipe is a great dinner option that works well for the entire family – and it’s relatively easy to prepare because you bake the “steaks” in the oven.
A win/win for those busy weeknights now that school has started up again!
KETO SALISBURY STEAK & MUSHROOM GRAVY VIDEO ??
I loved these Keto Salisbury steaks with my Better Than Potatoes Cheesy Cauliflower Puree, but you could also serve it with buttered zoodles or any other low carb veggie side dishes. Just be sure you have something to soak up that delicious keto mushroom gravy with!!!
If your family isn’t a fan of mushrooms, you can omit them and just use the onions – but I’ll be sad for you.
Keto Salisbury Steak with Mushroom Gravy
A low carb and gluten free remake of the classic Salisbury Steak! Quick and easy, the patties are baked in the oven making this a great weeknight meal the whole family will love!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: keto Dinner Recipe
- Cuisine: American
For the Salisbury Steaks:
- 2 lbs ground chuck (80/20)
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 1 Tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup beef broth
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp dried onion flakes
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
For the gravy:
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp bacon grease (or butter)
- 2 cups sliced button mushrooms
- 1 cup sliced yellow onions
- 1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- salt and pepper to taste
For the Salisbury Steaks:
- Combine all of the steak ingredients in a medium sized bowl and mix well.
- Form into 6 oval patties, about 1 inch thick, and place them on a cookie sheet.
- Bake in a preheated 375 degree (F) oven for 18 minutes.
For the gravy:
- Melt the butter and bacon fat (if using) in a large skillet.
- Add the mushrooms and cook on medium high heat until golden brown (about 3 minutes per side.)
- Add the onions and cook for 5 minutes over medium heat, until golden and soft.
- Add the broth and the Worcestershire sauce, stir and cook for 3 minutes, stirring to scrape any bits off of the bottom of the pan.
- Add the sour cream, stir well, and remove from the heat. (if you want a thicker gravy you can cook it on low for a 5 extra minutes to condense it.)
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve over the warm Salisbury Steaks with extra parsley for garnish if desired.
In case anybody wants nutrition info separately:
1 Salisbury Steak: 354 calories, 24g fat, 2.5g net carbs, 30g protein
1/3 cup gravy: 103 calories, 10g fat, 2.5g net carbs, 2g protein
- Serving Size: 1 steak & 1/3 cup gravy
- Calories: 457
- Fat: 34g
- Carbohydrates: 5g net
- Protein: 32g
Keywords: keto, beef, dinner, classics, easy, low carb, gluten free, Atkins, gravy
You can also download all five of my ebooks, loaded with tasty original low carb recipes in a special bundle for just $19.99!!!