I’m guessing that if your kids are back to school and you’ve been as busy as I have these past couple of weeks, then you probably need something easy to make for dinner! Since I also needed something easy to post today, hopefully this low carb recipe will benefit both of us!
Honestly, this isn’t even something I was planning to share! I was starving and super busy, so I threw the cauliflower into the microwave, intending to make the jalapeno popper cauliflower casserole. The thing is, when the cauliflower was cooked I didn’t even want to bother pureeing it.
I also didn’t feel like making the cream cheese mixture and slicing the jalapenos!
So I simply attacked the cooked cauliflower (which already had the butter and cream in it) with a fork, and laid some pre-sliced pepper jack cheese over the top. Back in the microwave for 2 more minutes and it was done!
I took a hurried bite because we were on our way out, and instantly was like “holy moly this is DELICIOUS!” and stopped to take a few quick photos so I could share it with you!
[pinterest text=”Easy Cheesy Cauliflower Gratin (low carb and gluten free) from ibreatheimhungry.com” layout=”horizontal” image=”http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/cauligratin2small-700×879.jpg”]
This is some no frills food photography if I ever saw it though! It was getting dark, and I had no time to set up to make it pretty either!
I promise, it tastes waaaayyyyyy better than it looks, and was so easy to make that it’s almost embarrassing!
[pinterest text=”Easy Cheesy Cauliflower Gratin (low carb and gluten free) from ibreatheimhungry.com” layout=”horizontal” image=”http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/cauligratin3small-700×420.jpg”]
Sometimes when life gets ridiculously busy though, you just need a simple, yet delicious low carb recipe that you can get on the table STAT! This is that recipe! Pair it with the protein of your choice and a side salad, and you’ve got dinner on the table in half an hour or less! Enjoy!Print
Easy Cheesy Cauliflower Gratin Recipe (Low Carb and Gluten Free)
A simple, yet delicious, low carb side dish recipe.
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- 4 cups raw cauliflower florets
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- 6 deli slices pepper jack cheese
- In a microwave safe dish, combine the cauliflower, butter, cream, salt and pepper and mix thoroughly. Microwave on high for about 25 minutes, or until tender. (Edit: There seems to be some confusion about this amount of time. Cook it til it’s soft. It takes me 25 minutes for this much cauliflower in my microwave, yours might be less. You can always start with 10 minutes, then 10 more, then 5 more if necessary. The key is to get it soft enough to mash with a fork. This amount of time also sweetens the cauliflower and reduces the cream and butter, making it like a thick sauce.) Remove from the microwave and mash with a fork or potato masher. Taste and season with more salt or pepper if necessary. Lay the slices of cheese across the top of the cauliflower. Microwave for another 2- 3 minutes or until the cheese has melted. Serve hot!
Approximate nutrition info per serving: 215 calories, 19g fat, 2g net carbs, 6g protein
- Serving Size: approximately 3/4 cup
[pinterest text=”Easy Cheesy Cauliflower Gratin (low carb and gluten free) from ibreatheimhungry.com” layout=”horizontal” image=”http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/cauligratinsmall-700×827.jpg”]
There is still time to enter the Diva Stuff Giveaway for 5 free all natural beauty products, so be sure to follow the link and enter if you haven’t already!
Also, for a limited time you can still download your copy of the IBIH Summer Recipes e-zine before it goes into the archives! Don’t miss out!