This Keto Jalapeno Popper Cauliflower Casserole has all the flavors of your favorite jalapeño popper appetizer, but in a low carb and family friendly casserole format! Keep it as is for a keto vegetarian casserole, or add bacon to jazz it up a bit! Low carb and gluten free.
As you know, Mondays are for low carb meatball recipes here on IBIH. Lately, I feel like I’ve also gotten into the habit of posting variations of the low carb cauliflower casserole recipes on Wednesdays. I’m not committing to a cauliflower Wednesday or anything – though I probably could, since this cauliflower casserole alone is so versatile that there is no end to the flavor combinations one could come up with!
It’s a delicious rut to be stuck in, and I plan to explore the many possibilities over the coming months (though not always on Wednesdays, because let’s face it, I’m not that organized.)
My latest low carb cauliflower creation is this Keto Jalapeno Popper Cauliflower Casserole. It’s an impossible task to figure out which is my favorite so far between this one, the insanely popular Pepperoni Pizza Cauliflower Casserole, or the Mexican inspired Cheesy Chipotle Cauliflower Casserole.
Honestly, they are all fantastic. Let’s just say that I love this one AT LEAST as much as the others, if not a hair more.
Creamy, cheesy, spicy – this Keto Jalapeno popper cauliflower casserole has it all! Super kid friendly (and picky husband friendly too), this recipe makes a great keto side dish, though I’ve also eaten it with a salad as a main course. I hope you guys will love it at least as much as I do!
As a side note, as you can see by the photos we cooked this in our new Wood Fired Oven that Mr. Hungry built – it works just as well in a regular oven though, or even the microwave, if you’re pressed for time with all of the back to school chaos coming up!
One last thing, the pictures don’t show it, but when I ate this Keto Jalapeno Popper Cauliflower Casserole leftover the next day I added some crumbled bacon on top – Mind. Blown. I’ve listed the bacon as optional in the recipe (crazy, right?) since without it, this dish is vegetarian friendly as well. Otherwise, you can, and should, feel free to pile bacon on this sucker with wild and reckless abandon!Print
A low carb cauliflower recipe inspired by the jalapeno popper! Kid friendly, this is a recipe the whole family will love! Serve as a side, or with a salad for a main dish!
- For the puree:
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 2 Tbsp heavy cream
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 Tbsp raw jalapenos, chopped
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
For the cream cheese layer:
- 6 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup salsa verde
For the topping:
- 3/4 cup colby jack cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup raw jalapenos, sliced (seeds removed)
- For the puree:
- Clean and trim the cauliflower, breaking it into medium sized pieces. Place in a microwave safe bowl with 2 Tbsp of cream and 1 Tbsp of butter. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 10 minutes. Stir to coat cauliflower with cream/butter mixture. Microwave for another six – eight minutes on high (or until cauliflower is tender). Remove from the microwave and put into a high speed blender or food processor along with the cheese, jalapenos, and garlic powder. Puree until smooth (or you can leave it chunky if you prefer. Season generously with salt and pepper to taste.
For the cream cheese layer:
- Put the cream cheese in a microwave safe bowl and nuke for 30 seconds to soften. Add the shredded cheese and salsa verde, mixing thoroughly. It should be very spreadable – if not, nuke for a few more seconds.
To assemble the casserole:
- In a medium-sized oven proof dish (approximately 8 x 8), spread out a thick layer of cauliflower puree. Spread the warm cream cheese mixture on top of the puree. Top with a layer of shredded colby jack cheese, and sliced jalapenos. Bake at 375 degrees for about 20 minutes, or until the cheese is completely melted. You can finish it under the broiler for a couple of minutes to brown further if you’d like. Alternatively, microwave on high for about 6 – 8 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the casserole is heated through. Serve hot.
- Optional – top with cooked, crumbled bacon before serving.
Approximate nutrition info per serving: 336 calories, 29g fat, 3.8g net carbs, 13g protein
- Serving Size: generous 1/2 cup