Recently I posted the low carb Pepperoni Pizza Cauliflower Casserole, which has been wildly popular here on IBIH. I still make it often, because it’s easy and sooo satisfying! Since that combination worked so well, I thought why not incorporate another of my favorite flavor profiles into it, and give it a Mexican twist?
So I experimented, and created this low carb cheesy chipotle version. It was a raging success! Even Mr. Hungry, a sworn hater of all things cauliflower, asked for a second bite of this one when he tasted it. I think the secret was the chipotle’s that I added to the puree – it really masks the cauliflower flavor and gives it a lovely smokiness.
I was going to call it “Nacho Mama’s Cauliflower Casserole” but stupid SEO is always ruining my fun, and stifling my creative genius when it comes to post titles. First world food blogger problems.
Originally I made it pretty with the tomatoes and sour cream as seen above. But then it got cold when I was taking the photos, and so I piled some more cheese and salsa onto it and threw it in the oven to reheat. I forgot about it, and it was in there for about half an hour before I remembered and took it out. That’s when this happened…
[pinterest text=”Cheesy Chipotle Cauliflower Casserole (low carb and gluten free) – ibreatheimhungry.com” layout=”horizontal” image=”http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/chipotlecauli2small-700×866.jpg”]
Oh man, it was soooo good! The cheese turned all crispy around the edges, and the cauliflower puree absorbed more of the green salsa and chipotle flavors, and it all just got super concentrated and cheesy. Om nom nom….
It’s hard to say if I liked this one better than the pepperoni pizza – that’s like choosing between cheesecake and ice cream, they’re both delicious in a different way. If you enjoy Mexican flavors though, I’m pretty sure you’ll agree that this one is a winner on every front!
[pinterest text=”Cheesy Chipotle Cauliflower Casserole (low carb and gluten free) – ibreatheimhungry.com” layout=”horizontal” image=”http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/chipotlecauli1small-680×950.jpg”]Print
Cheesy Chipotle Cauliflower Casserole (Low Carb and Gluten Free)
A low carb and gluten free cauliflower casserole recipe with a Mexican twist!
- Yield: 4 servings
For the puree:
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 2 Tbsp heavy cream
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 Tbsp (or more) chopped chipotles in adobo sauce (canned)
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
For the casserole:
- 1/2 cup salsa verde
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup chopped raw tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped pickled jalapenos (optional)
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
For the puree:
- Clean and trim the cauliflower, breaking it into medium sized pieces. Place in a microwave safe bowl with 2 Tbsp of cream and 1 Tbsp of butter. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 10 minutes. Stir to coat cauliflower with cream/butter mixture. Microwave for another six – eight minutes on high (or until cauliflower is tender). Remove from the microwave and put into a high speed blender or food processor along with the cheese, chipotles, and garlic powder. Puree until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
For the casserole:
- Spread the puree in an 8 x 8 casserole dish. Spread on the sour cream, then the salsa verde. Sprinkle the chopped tomatoes and jalapenos on top. Cover with the shredded cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 30 – 40 minutes at 375 degrees (F), or until the cheese is golden brown and bubbling. Cool for 5 minutes before serving.
Approx nutrition info. per serving: 335 calories, 26g fat, 6g net carbs, 14g protein
- Serving Size: 4 inch square
Still haven’t downloaded your copy of the IBIH Summer Recipes e-zine? Why not? All the cool kids are doing it!?!? Need more convincing? See what you’re missing here.110