Perhaps you’ve noticed that I’ve been on an Asian kick lately with my low carb meatball recipes. This happens to me sometimes – it’s like my brain gets stuck and all of my recipe inspiration seems to come from a certain flavor profile.
I usually just go with it until it runs its course, but this time it’s taking longer than usual! Hopefully you guys won’t mind though, since that’s how this delicious soup came about!
The meatballs themselves are made with ground pork (you could sub turkey if you prefer) and tons of scallions for an authentic potsticker flavor. The broth is simple and comes together quickly, but it’s loaded with flavor and super comforting.
The noodles are optional, but give an authentic feel to the soup. I used Shiratake Noodles which have very low carbs (about 1g per serving) and are made with Yam flour. You can usually find them for a couple bucks in the produce aisle of your grocery store over by the wonton wrappers and tofu.
Be sure to rinse and drain them really well before using. If you’ve never had them before, they are similar in texture to rice noodles and have a chewy, al dente type of feel that works perfectly in any low carb soup recipe.
Regarding what else to add to your soup, you can customize it with whatever you like! This would be a fun one to serve family style with a huge platter of options that allows your family or friends to build their own bowl using whatever they prefer.
I used shredded Napa cabbage, scallions, radish sticks, julienned carrot (use sparingly to keep carbs low), fresh cilantro, and a squeeze of fresh lime. It was fantastic!
I recommend building your bowl starting with noodles, then meatballs, then whatever else you want to add. Then ladle or pour in the broth – which should be really HOT to wilt the veggies and heat the shiritake noodles sufficiently for eating. I think you guys are going to like this one – be sure to let me know the verdict once you try it!
- 1 lb ground pork (or turkey)
- 1 egg
- ⅓ cup almond flour
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- ⅓ cup chopped scallions
- 1 Tbsp gluten free soy sauce
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 Tbsp minced ginger
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 32 oz (4 cups) chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 Tbsp gluten free soy sauce see example
- 1 Tbsp fish sauce see example
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 3 cups shiratake noodles, drained and rinsed see example
- 2 cups shredded Napa cabbage
- ¼ cup radish sticks
- ¼ cup shredded carrot
- ½ cup chopped scallions
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- 6 lime wedges
- Combine all of the meatballs in a medium bowl and mix thoroughly. Form into 24 bite-sized meatballs and place on a baking sheet. Bake at 375 degrees (F) for 12 minutes or until cooked through.
- In a medium saucepan heat the sesame oil and add the minced garlic and ginger. Cook for about 1 minute or until fragrant and sizzling. Add the chicken broth, water, soy sauce, fish sauce, red pepper flakes, and salt. Bring to a boil and simmer for at least 10 minutes. Strain the broth to remove the solids and add back to the pan. Taste and adjust seasoning to your preference. Bring to a boil right before serving.
- Place about ½ cup shiratake noodles in a soup bowl. Top with four meatballs, a handful of cabbage, and a pinch of radish, carrot, scallions, and cilantro. Ladle about 1 cup of very HOT broth into the bowl. Wait about 2 minutes for the ingredients to heat through, squeeze a lime wedge over it and serve.
Approximate nutrition information:
4 meatballs: 203 calories, 15g fat, 1g net carbs, 16g protein
1 cup broth: 23 calories, 1g fat, 1.5g net carbs, 1g protein
Noodles and veg as written above: 15 calories, 0g fat, 2g net carbs, 0g protein
Recipe as written totals: 241 calories, 16g fat, 4.5g net carbs, 17g protein
Asian flavors not your thing? You might prefer one of my other low carb meatball recipes like the Lasagna Meatballs, Green Chicken Enchilada Meatballs, Philly Cheese Steak Meatballs, Jalapeno Popper Meatballs, or Corned Beef and Cabbage Meatballs!
New to the low carb lifestyle and need some help? Try my free 3 day kickstart plan to get into ketosis fast! Then follow it up with any of my 12 free weekly menu plans – complete with shopping and prep lists!
In other news, for a limited time I’m bundling my Amazon best-selling e-book The Gluten Free Low Carber with my first two issues of the IBIH ezine for only $9.99 – that’s a discount of over 50%!
You’ll get over 75 original recipes that can’t be found here on the blog for less than 15 cents each! And it’s some of my best work yet if I do say so! Need some low carb side dish recipes to complement your ham or turkey? Or some decadent low carb dessert recipes to WOW your guests??? I’VE GOT YOU COVERED!
Get more information on the books here, or simply click the Add to Cart button to download now!