I love greens of all kinds, and kale is no exception. I’ll eat kale raw in salads or green smoothies, and I often add it to soups too, but until now I haven’t been a huge fan of cooked kale as a side dish.
This delicious low carb creamed kale recipe was a game changer for me – and I hope it will be for you too!
Now full disclosure, kale isn’t always my first choice for greens because it’s surprisingly high in carbs for a leafy veggie.
It was definitely worth the splurge in this recipe though, and it can’t be argued that kale is one of the healthiest greens around, so you definitely don’t have to feel bad about it.
That being said, if you’d prefer to spend your carbs on cookies rather than kale, you can definitely make this recipe with collard greens, chard, or even spinach – though you’ll have to adjust the cooking times accordingly for each.
Whatever greens you choose to use, there are several elements to this recipe that make it so great.
The creamy sauce of mascarpone and parmesan cheese is almost alfredo-like but also has a hint of nutmeg which adds another level of complexity.
It goes so very perfectly with the flavor of the kale (or any green) and hides in silky pockets among the nooks and crannies.
The creamed kale is delicious on its own but when you add the crunchy topping of salty bacon and earthy walnuts to it…just WOW.
A fantastic blend of flavors and textures, this low carb creamed kale recipe will be the hit of any meal, but goes especially great with the baked ham recipe I posted the other day!
I’m always happy to get your feedback on my recipes but I’m especially excited to hear what you guys think of this one – I know you’re going to be surprised at how good it really is!
Now go buy some kale and report back ASAP!!!!
- 4 slices raw bacon, chopped
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup unsweetened almond milk
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- 10 cups raw kale, chopped
- 1 cup mascarpone cheese
- ⅓ cup grated parmesan or romano cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup walnuts, chopped
- Cook the bacon in a large saute pan until golden but not quite crisp. Remove the bacon and set aside for the topping.
- Add the butter and garlic to the bacon grease in the pan and cook for about 1 minute or until the garlic is fragrant.
- Add the almond milk and nutmeg and stir well.
- Pile the kale into the pan, it's ok if it's heaped up, just let it cook, stirring occasionally for about 5 minutes or until completely wilted.
- Stir in the mascarpone and parmesan cheese until well blended.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Transfer to a greased casserole dish.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree (F) oven for about 30 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and top with the bacon and walnuts. Put back in the oven and cook for an additional 10 minutes.
- Serve hot.
Can’t get enough delicious low carb recipes? Download all five of my e-cookbooks (over 150 delicious low carb recipes) for just $19.99 for a limited time!
New to low carb and need some help getting started? Try out any one of my free low carb and keto menu plans with recipes and shopping lists and start losing weight fast!