This delicious low carb Asian beef pot roast is what I’m calling a “tweener” recipe. As we enter mid-March, it’s still chilly so you aren’t entirely over the winter comfort foods phase, but you’re also craving something lighter in anticipation of Spring – this paleo friendly pot roast recipe delivers both!
The pot roast itself is tender and succulent, with hints of ginger and orange and a slight sweetness. The garnishes are where you add some bright, fresh flavors and textures – using red cabbage, cilantro, scallions, fresh orange zest, and anything else you can dream up!
You can serve this delicious pot roast in a bowl over some cauliflower rice, and then add the garnishes on top…
Or you can serve it inside some butter or other soft lettuce leaves and eat it with your hands Korean BBQ style – which is my personal favorite!
You don’t see it in the photos, but after the photo shoot I made a creamy Sriracha orange sauce that I drizzled over the top before we had them for dinner and it really made a huge difference!
I’m including the recipe for the sauce below the pot roast recipe below so you can try it. I highly recommend having this with the sauce to get the full effect!
I made my Asian beef pot roast in the Instant Pot and it was very fast – less than an hour from start to finish! If you don’t have an Instant Pot (get one, seriously) then you can make this in the slow cooker (4 hours on high) or even simmer it on the stovetop in a dutch oven for about 4 hours.
Whatever method you choose to cook this low carb Asian beef pot roast with, I can promise you that it’s going to taste amazing!!!
Note: I used orange extract for the orange flavor, rather than actual juice from the orange which helps keep the carbs down. If you don’t have it you can use orange juice or more zest, just be sure to factor in the extra carbs the juice will add. You can find orange extract in the spice aisle of most grocery stores.
This delicious low carb Asian style beef pot roast recipe will be an instant hit with the whole family! Serve it over cauliflower rice or in lettuce leaves Korean BBQ style!
For the pot roast:
- 1 boneless chuck roast (4–5 lbs)
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 Tbsp fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
- 1 tsp orange extract (see example)
- 1/4 cup sugar free fish sauce (IBIH recommends)
- 2 Tbsp granulated sugar substitute (IBIH recommends)
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 Tbsp orange zest
- 1 Tbsp granulated sugar substitute
- 1 tsp red wine vinegar
Recommended garnish options:
- Shredded red cabbage
- butter lettuce leaves
- chopped cilantro
- fresh orange zest
- chopped scallions
For the Sriracha orange sauce:
- 1/4 cup sugar free mayonnaise
- 1 tsp Sriracha hot sauce
- 1 tsp granulated sugar substitute
- 1/2 tsp fresh orange zest
For the pot roast:
- Combine the whole chuck roast, garlic, ginger, orange extract, fish sauce, sweetener, red pepper flakes, and water in your Instant Pot.
- Seal the Instant Pot and use the Manual setting to set the time to 35 minutes on high pressure.
- After the cooking is done, release the pressure per manufacturer’s instructions and remove lid.
- Stir in the orange zest, 1 Tbsp sweetener, and red wine vinegar.
- Cook on the saute setting for 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, shred the meat, and serve with optional garnishes in a bowl or lettuce leaves.
For the Sriracha sauce:
- Combine all of the sauce ingredients in a small bowl and whisk together until smooth.
If using a slow cooker, cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 4 hours. Then cook the liquid down on the stovetop until thickened before serving.
Approx nutrition info for 4 oz pot roast: 245 calories, 9g fat, 0g carbs, 38g protein
Approx nutrition info for 1 tsp Sriracha sauce: 34 calories, 4g fat, 0g carbs, 0g protein
Note: These totals do not account for the garnishes you may use on the pot roast such as cauliflower rice, cabbage, cilantro, orange zest, etc.
You’ve still got a few months until bathing suit season – plenty of time to drop that winter weight you’ve been carrying around! (or maybe that’s just me!) Get your butt in gear with my free weekly keto menu plans and shopping lists!!!!
On a keto roll but need fresh recipe ideas? Download my super bundle containing all of five of my ebooks for just $19.99!