I’ve been obsessed with doing a low carb bacon wrapped chicken wing for awhile now, and this week I decided to tackle it! It was a raging success!
I wanted the wings to be a little sweet and a little spicy, so Asian seemed like the way to go. I used a combination of 5 spice powder, Hoisin sauce (sparingly as it contains sugar), and a few other typical Asian ingredients to create the marinade.
After marinating the chicken wings for an hour, I wrapped them in bacon and secured it with a toothpick. Then I added them back into the marinade for another hour.
The key to getting great flavor in these is to marinate them as long as possible – overnight would be awesome, but even a few hours will do. You could make extra marinade (keeping it separate from the raw chicken of course) and use it as a sauce after the chicken is cooked. We didn’t think it needed it, but if you like them really saucy I’m sure it would be awesome that way too.
In the interest of science, I baked some of them (shown in the very top photo) and also deep fried some of them (shown directly above) to see which would get the best results. It was a toss up. The deep fried wings cooked a lot faster and were a little juicier, while the baked wings were more uniform and the meat was more succulent and tender from the longer cook time.
Both ways were attractive, crispy, and delicious – so it really depends on your personal preference. In the future I’ll probably just bake them because it was much easier and less hands on than deep frying them. Either way, these are guaranteed to be a hit so make A LOT if you’re planning to share!
Crispy, sweet, salty and spicy – these low carb Asian inspired chicken wings are made even better with a bacon “skin!” Guaranteed to be a hit with the whole family!
- 16 raw chicken wing drumettes
- 1 Tbsp Hoisin Sauce
- 1 tsp 5 Spice Powder
- 1 Tbsp gluten free soy sauce (tamari)
- 2 Tbsp granulated sugar substitute
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 8 oz raw bacon
- Combine the Hoisin sauce, 5 spice powder, GF soy sauce, sweetener, sesame oil, red pepper flakes, and coconut oil in a medium bowl.
- Add the chicken wing drumettes and toss to coat.
- Marinate in the refrigerator for at least one hour.
- Open the package of bacon and cut the pieces in half.
- Wrap one half piece of bacon around each drumette and secure it with a toothpick through the fat end.
- Add the bacon-wrapped wings back to the marinade and toss to coat.
- Marinate in the refrigerator for at least one more hour or overnight.
- Place the chicken about one inch apart in a single layer on a cookie sheet. Bake at 400 degrees (F) for 45 minutes.
- Heat oil to 375 degrees (F) and fry chicken in batches – careful not to overcrowd the pan.
- Fry for about 4 – 6 minutes depending on the size of the wings – or until the meat is no longer pink near the bone.
- Serve hot with additional sauce if desired.
- Serving Size: 4 drumettes
- Calories: 338
- Fat: 22g
- Carbohydrates: 2g net
- Protein: 25g