I intended to post this low carb side dish recipe a couple of weeks ago to complement my Mozzarella Stuffed Turkey Pesto Meatballs, but it just never got done. Better late than never I guess!
This one is super easy – and you can even cook and freeze the spaghetti squash ahead of time, which makes this the perfect weeknight side dish.
I love the flavors in this recipe when using my easy lemon and basil pesto, but you can use store bought, or even make it with marinara sauce instead.
When making this recipe with the pesto, you add the pesto AFTER it comes out of the oven – otherwise the basil cooks and it completely changes the flavor. Cooking the pesto also causes it to turn an unappetizing grey color, instead of a lovely vibrant green color. Even in these photos it started to turn quickly because I didn’t wait for it to cool long enough before adding the pesto. It still tasted great, just wasn’t quite as pretty!
If you want to make this with the marinara, you just add the marinara on top of the squash, then the ricotta and mozzarella cheese, and bake it until hot and bubbly – Yum!
[pinterest text=”Cheesy Spaghetti Squash with Pesto (low carb and gluten free) a low carb side dish by ibreatheimhungry.com” layout=”horizontal” image=”http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/squashpesto2small-695×950.jpg”]
You could also add some cooked chicken to this recipe (with either the pesto or the marinara sauce) before baking, and it would be an easy one dish casserole. Serve with a side salad and you’re good to go. You can even assemble it the day before and pop it in the oven when you get home from school or work. Easy, peasy…
[pinterest text=”Cheesy Spaghetti Squash with Pesto (low carb and gluten free) a low carb side dish by ibreatheimhungry.com” layout=”horizontal” image=”http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/squashpesto3small-700×941.jpg”]Print
An easy and versatile low carb side dish recipe using spaghetti squash.
- 2 cups cooked spaghetti squash, drained
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup whole milk ricotta cheese
- 4 oz fresh mozzarella cheese, cubed
- 1/4 cup basil pesto
- In a medium-sized bowl combine the squash and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Spread the squash about 2 inches deep in an oven proof casserole dish. Drop ricotta cheese on top by the spoonful. Scatter the cubes of mozzarella cheese over the top. Bake for about 10 minutes in a 375 degree (F) oven, or until the cheese has melted and is bubbly. Remove from the oven, cool for about 5 minutes, then drizzle the pesto over the top and serve.
Approximate nutrition info per serving: 207 calories, 17g fat, 4.8g net carbs, 11g protein
- Serving Size: Approximately 3/4 cup or 1/4th of casserole
[pinterest text=”Cheesy Spaghetti Squash with Pesto (low carb and gluten free) a low carb side dish by ibreatheimhungry.com” layout=”horizontal” image=”http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/squashpesto6small-684×950.jpg”]40