Happy Meatball Monday, Peeps! This week’s low carb meatball recipe is kind of out there for me. Not only is it based on a pizza topping that I don’t even LIKE (this is one of Mr. Hungry’s favorites, and one of the few things we disagree on), but it’s made with canned SPAM, which isn’t even at the way bottom of my list of favorite foods!
See, I’ve always thought it was just plain wrong to put ham and pineapple on a pizza with red sauce on it. If it was a white pie, then I probably wouldn’t be as against the idea – but it just doesn’t seem to belong with a tomato-based sauce.
People who love it though, REALLY love it – and I figured I’d experiment with a meatball for their sake. Take one for the team, if you will. To make it even more unique, I thought it would be fun to use canned Spam (which barely qualifies as food in my opinion) as the meat base.
In all honesty, I did not have high hopes for this combo. In fact, I was fully prepared to have to toss it in the trash.
That being said, these were RIDICULOUSLY AWESOME! SPAM-TASTIC! SPAM-ERRIFIC! SPA-MAZING!!!! Maybe the Hawaiians are onto something with their Spam love. All I know, is that this recipe turned me into a believer.
Interestingly, when I went shopping for the Spam for this recipe (I used original Spam), I could NOT BELIEVE how many varieties of Spam flavors there are out there! I posted this photo recently on Instagram, and it shows just a few of the many options available. Jalapeno Spam, Hot and Spicy Spam, Hickory Smoke Spam, LITE Spam – the list goes on! Who knew???
As in most of my low carb meatball recipes, I wanted to incorporate as much flavor into the actual meatball as possible – that way they even taste great without the sauce or toppings. In this recipe I chose to add the pineapple to the meatball mix, as well as a small amount of cheese. I opted not to put tomato sauce in the mix – that you are getting only in the topping.
The meatballs do taste great by themselves – salty and just a hint of sweet from the small chunks of pineapple. I’m not going to lie though – to have the full on awesomesauce experience, you really need to cover them with marinara sauce and melted cheese. Seriously tasty!
If you love Spam you’ll go crazy for these. If you hate Spam you’ll still go crazy for these. I won’t even eat Hawaiian pizza and still loved these. I think you will too, and I can’t wait to hear what what the verdict is in your family!Print
Hawaiian Pizza Spam Meatballs (Low Carb and Gluten Free)
A low carb meatball recipe inspired by the Hawaiian Pizza and made with canned Spam!
- Yield: 18 meatballs (6 servings) 1x
For the meatballs:
- 1 can original Spam
- 1/4 cup fresh pineapple, chopped finely
- 1/3 cup almond flour
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 Tbsp minced scallions
- 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- approximately 2 Tbsp oil for frying
For the topping:
- 1 cup sugar free marinara sauce (I like Rao’s)
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
For the meatballs:
- In a large bowl, mash the spam with a fork until finely ground (or pulse it in a food processor). Add the rest of the meatball ingredients and mix thoroughly. DO NOT ADD SALT! Firmly pack the mix into 18 meatballs. Heat the oil in a nonstick saute pan and add the meatballs. Cook over low heat until golden brown. They fall apart easily until fully cooked, so be gentle with them when turning. Also, don’t use too much oil or they will disintegrate into it. Remove to a paper towel when golden on the outside.
- To serve:
- Place the meatballs in an ovenproof dish. Spoon some marinara over each meatball. Sprinkle with shredded mozzarella cheese. Bake at 375 degrees for about 15 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and starting to brown. Serve hot.
Approximate nutrition information:
Per “naked” meatball: 85 calories, 7g fat, .9g net carbs, 4g protein
Per serving (3) “naked” meatballs: 254 calories, 21g fat, 2.6g net carbs, 12g protein
Per meatball & toppings: 110 calories, 8g fat, 2g net carbs, 6g protein
Per serving (3) meatballs & toppings: 329 calories, 24g fat, 6g net carbs, 18g protein
- Serving Size: 3 meatballs
Let me know what you guys think! Are you game to try them – or too grossed out by the Spam?
Also I’m always on the lookout for new meatball recipe ideas, so feel free to leave them in the comments!
And finally, don’t forget to download your copy of the IBIH Summer Recipes e-zine for only $5!!!22