This Keto Butternut Squash Risotto is ultra satisfying, and very easy to make! You can for real have this delicious keto risotto on the table in less than 30 minutes from start to finish – making it a perfect weeknight meal that will feel like an indulgence!
If you thought rich and creamy risotto was off limits while on Keto, you’d be wrong! Now it’s true, this keto butternut squash risotto IS made with cauliflower rice instead of the real thing, but I promise you won’t care once you taste it!
The ultimate keto comfort food, this low carb risotto is loaded with fresh sage, rosemary, nutmeg, garlic, and of course the slightly sweet squash to balance the flavors. And let’s not forget the creamy mascarpone and pungent, salty parmesan – it’s a true taste sensation!
If you’re craving something creamy, rich, and hearty – that delivers the warm fuzzies and sheer joy that your old carb-laden favorites used to give you, then I promise you will be putting this keto butternut squash risotto into the regular rotation.
Even your non-keto family members will likely want to get on board with this one. In fact, you may regret sharing it, because that means less for you – and did I mention that it reheats like a dream and is almost better leftover, as if that’s even possible?
My only regret with this keto butternut squash risotto is that I didn’t post it sooner, as I’ve had it made since November! ? I know! I’m so sorry! But hopefully you can get the butternut squash year round, and you’ll be able to make and enjoy this recipe ASAP.
Because the amount of butternut squash is small – just enough to add the flavor and texture to notice it, the net carbs in this recipe are about 7 grams for 1 cup. Perfect as a keto side dish to your favorite roasted poultry or meat – this can also be enjoyed in a double portion as a main dish, as long as you budget your carbs accordingly for the day!
This keto butternut squash risotto is vegetarian (and already delicious) as is, but I’m not gonna lie, it would be even more amazing served with a generous heap of cooked crumbled bacon or pancetta piled on top. ??
If your love for risotto is as deep and abiding as mine, be sure to try the Lobster Risotto (page 242) and Hazelnut Risotto (page 256) from my best selling book Keto for Life which you can find at your local Target, Costco, Barnes & Noble, Chapters, and Amazon!
This keto butternut squash risotto is short on carbs but big on flavor! The ultimate keto comfort food, this low carb risotto is also nut free, egg free, gluten free, and vegetarian.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh sage
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup dry sherry
- 4 cups riced cauliflower
- 1/2 cup butternut squash, cooked and mashed
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup mascarpone cheese (4 ounces)
- 1/8th teaspoon grated nutmeg
- Melt the butter in a large saute pan over medium heat.
- Add the sage, rosemary and garlic and cook for 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Add the riced cauliflower, mashed squash, salt and pepper and cook for 3 minutes or until the cauliflower is beginning to soften.
- Add the sherry and cook for another 7 minutes, or until most of the liquid has been absorbed and the cauliflower is soft.
- Stir in the Parmesan, Mascarpone, and grated nutmeg.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until cheese is melted and the risotto is creamy, about 5 minutes.
- Taste and season with more salt and pepper if desired.
- Remove from the heat and garnish with more fresh herbs and grated parmesan before serving.
Approximate net carbs per serving = 7g.
- Category: Keto side dishes
- Cuisine: Italian
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 337
- Fat: 25g
- Carbohydrates: 9g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 8g
Keywords: risotto, Keto, comfort foods, side dishes, vegetarian, nut free, egg free, gluten free, low carb, cauliflower