This light, yet insanely flavorful keto roasted tomato & garlic soup is sure to be a favorite with my fellow tomato soup lovers! In addition to being delicious, this low carb tomato soup is also dairy free, egg free, nut free, Paleo and even Whole 30 compliant!
Cold winter days just beg for a steaming bowl of comforting and flavorful soup, amiright? Sometimes you want a hearty and rich stew, like my keto beef stew, while other times you may be in the mood for a lighter soup that’s not so heavy. That’s where this delicious keto roasted tomato & garlic soup comes in.
Because winter tomatoes are usually sad and mostly tasteless, I chose to roast them, along with some cloves of peeled garlic for this soup. The flavors mellow and deepen with roasting so that the soup, though relatively light, has a bright intensity that requires no extra garnishes or herbs to make it interesting.
To boost the flavors in this keto roasted tomato & garlic soup, I added some anchovy paste (it doesn’t taste fishy I promise,) bay leaves, and a dash of ground nutmeg to the broth while simmering.
A splash of apple cider vinegar at the very end gives the soup a mouthwatering quality that keeps you coming back for more and more and more. Fortunately, this keto roasted tomato & garlic soup is low in calories, so you can have a pretty substantial serving without doing damage to your macros.
As is, this keto roasted tomato & garlic soup is Paleo and Whole 30 friendly, with no dairy in sight. If dairy isn’t a problem for you though, and you prefer a richer, creamier soup, you could absolutely add a pat of butter, a splash of heavy cream, and/or a spoonful of mascarpone cheese to make it thicker and more decadent.
Light and tasty as is, this keto roasted tomato & garlic soup is perfect for a snack, or to accompany a keto friendly muffin or sandwich.
As an added bonus, this keto roasted tomato & garlic soup also makes a great base for other more complex soups.
You can customize this low carb tomato soup in a huge variety of ways by adding cooked meats, cauliflower rice, or even seafood for a chowder vibe.
This keto roasted tomato & garlic soup is light on calories and big on flavor. Dairy free, Paleo and even Whole 30 compliant, this low carb tomato soup can be enjoyed guilt free all year long!
- 1 lb fresh tomatoes, cored
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/8th teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon anchovy paste
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Place the cored tomatoes and peeled garlic on a cookie sheet.
- Drizzle with 2 tablespoons of olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Roast for 30 minutes.
- Remove and transfer vegetables and any pan juices to a blender.
- Add 2 cups of chicken stock and blend until smooth.
- Pour through a strainer (to remove seeds and skin pieces) into a large saucepan.
- Add the remaining 2 cups of chicken stock, 2 tablespoons olive oil, nutmeg, anchovy paste and bay leaves.
- Simmer over medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaves.
- Add apple cider vinegar.
- Stir and taste, season with additional salt and pepper as desired.
Net carbs per serving = 4g
- Category: keto soups
- Method: roasting
- Serving Size: 1.5 cups
- Calories: 130
- Fat: 11g
- Carbohydrates: 6g
- Fiber: 2g
- Protein: 2g
Keywords: soup, tomato soup, keto, atkins, low carb, dairy free, nut free, egg free, gluten free, grain free, paleo, whole 30