These keto thumbprint cookies have all of the elements of your favorite classic thumbprint cookie! A pillowy soft vanilla scented cookie, crusted with chopped walnuts and a dollop of strawberry (or any flavor) of jam nestled in the center. Betcha can’t eat just one!
My friend Judy is the indisputable queen of cookies (and pies) but unfortunately they aren’t usually keto friendly. When we visit CT and spend time with them, there are always tons of cookies to be eaten when we’re playing cards, and the thumbprint cookies with the walnut crust are my hand’s down favorite.
So when Judy posted a photo on Instagram of some cookies she just made, and I saw my favorites sitting there all jewel-like and out of reach, I knew I had to make a keto thumbprint cookie that we (and you) could enjoy guilt free. Side point – Mr. Hungry’s favorite are the ginger cookies – which have raisins in them and are therefore super gross in my opinion. There is no chance that I will be making those over into a keto version. EVER.
If you’re a cookie lover like me, then it’s almost a guarantee that you’re going to be a fan of these keto thumbprint cookies! I mean seriously, what’s not to like?
The interior is soft and pillowy, the exterior is slightly crunchy and with a toasty nut flavor, and the jam center – well that just makes it all perfect.
Speaking of the jam, I used Smucker’s sugar free strawberry preserves because that’s what I could get here in Honduras, but you can use any sugar free or low sugar jam flavor in your version. Just be sure to pick the lowest carbs per serving that you can find.
Mostly because you’re going to want to eat at least 2 of these keto thumbprint cookies, and you want to keep the carbs as low as possible to make room in your budget. And with a budget of 20g net carbs per day, you can totally eat bacon and eggs all day just to be able to fit, oh I don’t know…maybe 5 or 6 of them into your plan?
I mean if you want to – no judgement here… #cookiesallday #whynot #bethebossofyou
Actually forget the IBIH 5 day Keto Soup Diet – let’s make the IBIH 5 Day Keto Cookie Diet a thing! #ibihcookiediet #whoswithme #youknowyouwantto
I’ll tell ya what – imma try it out (for science, duh) and get back to you asap! 😂😂😂
Meanwhile, you should make a few batches of these keto thumbprint cookies and have them ready to go, juuust in case!
These keto thumbprint cookies have all the flavor and texture of your favorite classic thumbprint cookies! Low carb and gluten free.
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup salted butter, softened
- 2 cups superfine blanched almond flour
- Pinch of kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2/3 cup powdered erythritol sweetener
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 5 tablespoons sugar free strawberry preserves
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Combine the egg, butter, almond flour, salt, baking powder, erythritol and vanilla in a medium bowl.
- Mix well with a fork until a dough is formed.
- Place the chopped walnuts on a plate.
- Form the dough into 1.5 inch balls and roll in the walnuts to coat.
- Place on a parchment-lined cookie sheet.
- Bake for 8 minutes.
- Remove from oven and press a small dent into the center of each cookie.
- Place approximately 1 teaspoon of jam in each cookie dent.
- Return to the oven and bake an additional 10 minutes.
- Remove and transfer to a rack or platter to cool for 30 minutes.
- Cookies MUST be fully cool to stay together – until then they will be quite fragile, so handle gently when transferring.
Net carbs per cookie = 2g
- Category: Keto cookies
- Method: baking
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 165
- Fat: 16g
- Carbohydrates: 5g
- Fiber: 3g
- Protein: 4g
Keywords: cookies, thumbprint, jam, treats, desserts, keto, Atkins, low carb, gluten free