It’s been rainy and dreary here for the past week, and today was no exception. It was the kind of day that just screamed for chicken noodle soup, but without the noodles (or rice, or potatoes) it’s just chicken soup, and not nearly as satisfying.
I had heard about Avgolemeno, a traditional Greek chicken soup made with lemon and eggs whisked into it, and always wanted to try it – if only because the name is cool. It’s typically made with rice or orzo, but I thought I’d put a low carb twist on it by serving it with spaghetti squash instead.
It was perfect! The light, lemony broth was so comforting, and the squash added a subtle sweetness that is downright addicting!
As a bonus, for those of you doing the Whole 30, this soup is totally legal – although I did grate some fresh parmesan into mine which made it extra yummy, though not Whole 30 compliant. I’m excited that I have a big container of this soup sitting in my fridge right now, because I’m already looking forward to having some for lunch tomorrow!
I definitely recommend putting this on your list of soups to try ASAP before the weather gets too warm to enjoy it!
I started with chicken quarters and made my own broth with the bones, but in case you don’t have time, I’m going to write the recipe using quantities for cooked chicken and prepared broth. That way even if you start with a rotisserie chicken and some decent quality store bought broth, you’ll be that much closer to eating this super easy, and totally satisfying soup on your next rainy (or snowy) day!
Low Carb Avgolemeno (Greek Chicken, Lemon & Egg Soup)
This keto Avgolemeno soup is loaded with chunks of chicken, tasty spaghetti squash and a lemon broth thickened with egg! Whole 30, SCKC
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- 4 cups cooked, shredded chicken
- 10 cups chicken stock or broth
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups cooked spaghetti squash
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Add the chicken and broth to a large saucepan and bring to a boil. Remove from the heat.
- In a medium bowl whisk the eggs and lemon juice together until frothy.
- Slowly whisk 2 cups of hot stock into the egg mixture – don’t just dump it in or you’ll end up with scrambled eggs!
- Once the stock has been incorporated into the egg mixture, add back to the pot.
- Stir in the spaghetti squash and gently reheat the soup if necessary – don’t bring to a boil or the eggs may curdle.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve hot, garnished with chopped parsley if desired.
Approx nutrition info per serving: 289 calories, 15g fat, 4g net carbs, 30g protein
- Serving Size: 1.5 cups
For more great recipes, download your copy of The Gluten Free Low Carber today!!!!233