Delicious on its own or as a rich base for healthy soups and sauces, this low carb bone broth is a staple in my kitchen. Making it in the Instant Pot is easy and much faster than the traditional way, though this recipe can easily be adapted to a slow cooker or a simmering pot on the stove – it will just take a lot longer.
One of the reasons I love using the Instant Pot to make bone broth, is because the pressure cooking really breaks down the minerals in the bones and connective tissue. I have simmered pots of broth for days and still not gotten the softened bones that I can achieve with just an hour in my Instant Pot. No muss. No fuss.
When I drain my broth, I press the bones and veggies into the strainer and they break down into a pile of mush. That’s how I know I’ve extracted everything I can get out of them.
In addition, my bone broth never fails to solidify in the fridge, letting me know that all of that healthy collagen and gelatin from the bones and tissues has infused into it. It’s rich, hearty, delicious, and most of all loaded with essential vitamins and minerals for nourishing my family.
If you don’t yet have an Instant Pot, I can’t recommend purchasing one highly enough. They cost around a hundred dollars (give or take depending on the time of year) and are worth every penny. You can find them at Walmart and Target, or order your Instant Pot from Amazon like I did.
You can read more about why I love my Instant Pot and some of its features on the IBIH Pantry Ingredients Page.
As far as the bone broth is concerned, it’s long been touted as a health tonic and for good reason. Many bone broths are made with lots of root vegetables included though, and that can add quite a lot of carbs. This low carb bone broth recipe has plenty of rich flavor, but a lot less carbohydrates – making it a perfect addition to your keto diet.
Many people on keto will drink chicken broth made from dehydrated cubes just to get enough sodium in their diets, and it’s effective for that purpose. Homemade low carb bone broth is superior though, because it will give you not only the sodium you need, but also lots of other essential vitamins, minerals and electrolytes that support good health and a strong immune system.
All of that for mere pennies per ounce and made in just about an hour? You can’t afford NOT to make homemade low carb bone broth part of your weekly regimen!
How to Make Low Carb Bone Broth in an Instant Pot
This rich and delicious low carb bone broth can be made in your Instant Pot in just an hour! The perfect base for low carb soups, stews and sauces – or drink it like tea for a healthy boost!
- Yield: About 12 cups
- Category: Low Carb Bone Broth Recipe
- Cuisine: American
- 1 cooked chicken carcass (most meat removed) & any drippings
- 1 inch knob of ginger
- 1 small onion, quartered (skin on)
- 1 cup chopped celery tops
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 3 – 4 liters filtered water
- Combine all of the solid ingredients in a 6 quart Instant Pot.
- Pour in the filtered water up to the 4 liter mark.
- Seal according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Turn pot on and set to Manual / High Pressure / 60 minutes.
- Once time is up, cool and release the pressure according to mfg. instructions.
- Cool for one hour.
- Strain the solids out into a clean pot or large container.
- Season the broth with sea salt as desired.
- Chill for several hours or overnight.
- Remove the solidified fat from the top of the broth and discard.
- Portion into containers and store for up to a week in the fridge, or freeze for up to 3 months.
Slow Cooker Adaptation:
- You can add all of the ingredients to your slow cooker and cook on high for 8 hours – not sure you’ll get exactly the same results with the bones getting soft, but you will extract enough from them to make a delicious and healthy broth!
The nutrition information is approximate, but likely contains less carbs than stated here because I counted all the carbs from the veggie ingredients in the total, even though the solids get discarded at the end.
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 38
- Fat: 2g
- Carbohydrates: 1.5g
- Protein: 3g
Looking for more great low carb Instant Pot recipes? Try out these delicious fan favorites next!
Had a little too much fun and need to drop some pounds? Get started today with my free low carb and keto menu plans to kick start your weight loss in 2017!
Can’t get enough delicious low carb recipes? Download all five of my e-cookbooks (over 150 delicious low carb recipes) for just $19.99 for a limited time!