Since I finally got my new Instant Pot out of the box and started using it a few weeks ago, I’ve become a little obsessed! People have been going on and on about how great the Instant Pot is, and now I finally understand what all the fuss is about!
After polling some people on the IBIH Facebook Page, I learned that a lot of you have (or are planning to get) one, and are interested in low carb recipes that can be made in the Instant Pot. For that reason, I’ve made it my mission to translate some of my low carb favorites into Instant Pot friendly recipes.
Since I’m a huge fan of pork ribs, one of the first things I wanted to tackle was how to make ribs in the Instant Pot.
One of the best things about the Instant Pot in my opinion is how fast it transforms fatty cuts of beef and pork into tender, meltingly delicious perfection! I’ve never made ribs in less than an hour before – and these pork ribs cooked in the Instant Pot were just as good if not better than any I’ve made in the past on the grill, smoker, or in the oven.
I opted to eat these right out of the Instant Pot and they were great, but to make the flavor even more authentic, or to get some char on the outside for texture, you can finish them on the grill or under the broiler of your oven for a few minutes.
The recipe itself will outline all the steps for how to make ribs in the Instant Pot in detail, but I’ll show you how easy it is in just a few photos:
1. Season your ribs with the spice mixture.
2. Layer the seasoned ribs in the Instant Pot.
3. Pour the sauce over the ribs.
4. Cover and set your instant pot for 35 minutes.
5. After cooking, release pressure and remove the top.
6. Remove the cooked ribs carefully to a platter. Cook the sauce down in the Instant Pot for 10 minutes and whisk in the xanthan gum.
7. Pour the sauce over the ribs and serve.
Making low carb ribs in the Instant Pot couldn’t be easier or more delicious – that fact that you can go from start to finish in less than an hour total is just a bonus!
You can also make these low carb ribs in a slow cooker – just put everything inside and cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours. Then remove the ribs and cook the sauce down and thicken on the stove before pouring over the finished ribs.
I’m excited for you!
How to Make Ribs in the Instant Pot – Low Carb
If you’ve ever wondered how to make ribs in the Instant Pot, then this post is for you! Easy and delicious low carb ribs in less than an hour total – it’s a dream come true!
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Instant Pot Recipe
- Cuisine: American
- ~ 5 pounds of pork ribs (country style) cut into sections
For the dry rub:
- 1.5 Tbsp kosher salt
- 1 Tbsp erythritol or other sweetener
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp allspice
- ½ tsp ground coriander
For the sauce:
- 1/2 cup reduced sugar ketchup
- 2 Tbsp erythritol or other sweetener
- 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 tsp liquid smoke
- 1/2 Tbsp ground mustard
- 1/2 Tbsp ground allspice
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp xanthan gum (optional)
- Season the ribs with the dry rub ingredients on all sides.
- Stack the rib sections in the Instant Pot (or slow cooker.)
- Combine the ketchup, sweetener, vinegar, water, liquid smoke, mustard, allspice, and onion powder in a small bowl and whisk to combine.
- Pour the sauce mixture over the ribs.
- Seal the Instant Pot and use the Manual setting to set the time to 35 minutes on high pressure.
- After the cooking is done, release the pressure per manufacturer’s instructions and remove lid.
- Remove the ribs to a platter and keep warm.
- Whisk the xanthan gum into the sauce, then use the saute function to cook the remaining liquid in the pot for 10 minutes. Pour the sauce over the ribs and serve.
If using a slow cooker, cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 4 hours. Then cook the liquid down on the stovetop until thickened before pouring over the ribs.
Approx nutrition info for 3 ribs: 387 calories, 29g fat, 2g net carbs, 27g protein
Had a little too much fun and need to drop some pounds? Get started today with my free low carb and keto menu plans to kick start your weight loss in 2016!
Can’t get enough delicious low carb recipes? Download all five of my e-cookbooks (over 150 delicious low carb recipes) for just $19.99 for a limited time!