As you know, Mondays are for low carb meatball recipes here on IBIH. Lately, I feel like I’ve also gotten into the habit of posting variations of the low carb cauliflower casserole recipes on Wednesdays.
I’m not committing to a cauliflower Wednesday or anything – though I probably could, since this cauliflower casserole alone is so versatile that there is no end to the flavor combinations one could come up with!
It’s a delicious rut to be stuck in, and I plan to explore the many possibilities over the coming months (though not always on Wednesdays, because let’s face it, I’m not that organized.)
My latest low carb cauliflower creation is this Jalapeno Popper Cauliflower Casserole. It’s an impossible task to figure out which is my favorite so far between this one, the insanely popular Pepperoni Pizza Cauliflower Casserole, or the Mexican inspired Cheesy Chipotle Cauliflower Casserole.
Honestly, they are all fantastic. Let’s just say that I love this one AT LEAST as much as the others, if not a hair more.
[pinterest text=”Jalapeno Popper Cauliflower Casserole (low carb and gluten free) even your kids are going to love this one!!! ibreatheimhungry.com” layout=”horizontal” image=”http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/poppercasserole5small-700×942.jpg”]
Creamy, cheesy, spicy – this recipe has it all! Super kid friendly (and picky husband friendly too), this recipe makes a great low carb side dish, though I’ve also eaten it with a salad as a main course. I hope you guys will love it at least as much as I do!
As a side note, as you can see by the photos we cooked this in our new Wood Fired Oven that Mr. Hungry built – it works just as well in a regular oven though, or even the microwave, if you’re pressed for time with all of the back to school chaos coming up!
[pinterest text=”Jalapeno Popper Cauliflower Casserole (low carb and gluten free) even your kids are going to love this one!!! ibreatheimhungry.com” layout=”horizontal” image=”http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/poppercasserole4small-700×478.jpg”]
One last thing, the pictures don’t show it, but when I ate it leftover the next day I added some crumbled bacon on top – Mind. Blown. I’ve listed the bacon as optional in the recipe (crazy, right?) since without it, this dish is vegetarian friendly as well. Otherwise, you can, and should, feel free to pile bacon on this sucker with wild and reckless abandon!
- For the puree:
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 2 Tbsp heavy cream
- 1 Tbsp butter
- ¼ cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 Tbsp raw jalapenos, chopped
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 6 oz cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup salsa verde
- ¾ cup colby jack cheese, shredded
- ¼ cup raw jalapenos, sliced (seeds removed)
- For the puree:
- Clean and trim the cauliflower, breaking it into medium sized pieces. Place in a microwave safe bowl with 2 Tbsp of cream and 1 Tbsp of butter. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 10 minutes. Stir to coat cauliflower with cream/butter mixture. Microwave for another six – eight minutes on high (or until cauliflower is tender). Remove from the microwave and put into a high speed blender or food processor along with the cheese, jalapenos, and garlic powder. Puree until smooth (or you can leave it chunky if you prefer. Season generously with salt and pepper to taste.
- Put the cream cheese in a microwave safe bowl and nuke for 30 seconds to soften. Add the shredded cheese and salsa verde, mixing thoroughly. It should be very spreadable - if not, nuke for a few more seconds.
- In a medium-sized oven proof dish (approximately 8 x 8), spread out a thick layer of cauliflower puree. Spread the warm cream cheese mixture on top of the puree. Top with a layer of shredded colby jack cheese, and sliced jalapenos. Bake at 375 degrees for about 20 minutes, or until the cheese is completely melted. You can finish it under the broiler for a couple of minutes to brown further if you'd like. Alternatively, microwave on high for about 6 - 8 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the casserole is heated through. Serve hot.
- Optional - top with cooked, crumbled bacon before serving.
[pinterest text=”Jalapeno Popper Cauliflower Casserole (low carb and gluten free) even your kids are going to love this one!!! ibreatheimhungry.com” layout=”horizontal” image=”http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/poppercasserole3small-680×950.jpg”]
Do you have a favorite cauliflower casserole so far? I’d love to hear which – and also any ideas you might have for another flavor combo you’d like to see me try. As always I look forward to your comments and suggestions!
New to the low carb lifestyle and need some help? Try my free 3 day kickstart plan to get into ketosis fast! Then follow it up with any of my 12 free weekly menu plans – complete with shopping and prep lists!
In other news, for a limited time I’m bundling my Amazon best-selling e-book The Gluten Free Low Carber with my first two issues of the IBIH ezine for only $9.99 – that’s a discount of over 50%!
You’ll get over 75 original recipes that can’t be found here on the blog for less than 15 cents each! And it’s some of my best work yet if I do say so! Need some low carb side dish recipes to complement your ham or turkey? Or some decadent low carb dessert recipes to WOW your guests??? I’VE GOT YOU COVERED!
Get more information on the books here, or simply click the Add to Cart button to download now!