If you’ve been hanging around IBIH in the past few months, you know I was pretty much over the whole pumpkin thing before the season even started. My eye starts to twitch when I see pumpkin-themed recipes showing up in my Pinterest feed as early as July. STOP RUSHING ME PEOPLE!
Eventually though, the cooler weather and changing leaves (granted I live in the South and the fall foliage pretty much goes from green, to yellow, to a muddy brown and then boom – dead leaves littering my still uncovered pool) win me over and I start thinking about cinnamon, nutmeg, and yes – pumpkin.
The thing about me is, once I commit, I’m all in baby! So I bought a bunch of small pumpkins, cans of pumpkin, and even sugar free pumpkin pie flavored syrup. Now I’m elbow deep in pumpkin flavored everything – which will last about a week until I don’t even want to look at another pumpkin until this time next year. It’s a vicious cycle.
These super cute low carb pumpkin chai mug cakes were actually an afterthought this afternoon when I had some pumpkin puree left in the bottom of the can after using some in a soup recipe earlier today. Not really enough to do a lot with, I thought I’d test out this mug cake idea because they are so quick to whip up.
I literally had these made in less than five minutes. That includes the cinnamon whipped cream I made in about 30 seconds using one of my favorite kitchen tools, the immersion blender.
After I took a few photos, I finally tasted one and it was so satisfying that I just had to share it with you IMMEDIATELY, even though I have three different pots of soup going as I type this and still have to style and photograph all of them before I quit for the day.
THAT’S how much I want you to have this recipe at your disposal ASAP! As in go make it right now. Yes – RIGHT now!!! Then report back and let me know what you think!
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsp chai tea, brewed strong
- 2 Tbsp granulated sugar substitute
- ¼ cup almond flour
- 1.5 Tbsp coconut flour
- ¼ cup pumpkin puree
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ⅛ tsp ground nutmeg
- ⅛ tsp ground cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- ¼ cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 Tbsp granulated sugar substitute
- pinch of cinnamon
- Melt the butter in a microwave safe bowl. Add the egg, tea, sugar substitute, almond flour, coconut flour, pumpkin puree, baking powder, nutmeg, cinnamon, and pinch of salt. Stir well and divide between two mugs or 4 paper baking cups. Microwave for one minute. Test and microwave for another 30 seconds if necessary. If still not firm, try another 30 seconds, but be careful not to overcook. Cool slightly before topping with whipped cream.
- Combine the cream, sweetener, and cinnamon in a small bowl and whip until firm. Serve over the still warm mug cakes and eat immediately. If not eating immediately, let the cakes cool completely before adding the whipped cream and then store in the refrigerator.
Not sick of pumpkin yet? Try my low carb Pumpkin Cheesecake Pie, Pumpkin Chipotle Soup, or Pumpkin Crepe Cake recipes next!
Be sure to enter my October Vitamix Giveaway for your chance to win a brand new Vitamix 1782 Turboblend 2 speed blender!
New to the low carb lifestyle and need some help? Try my free 3 day kickstart plan to get into ketosis fast! Then follow it up with any of my 12 free weekly menu plans – complete with shopping and prep lists!
In other news, for a limited time I’m bundling my Amazon best-selling e-book The Gluten Free Low Carber with my first two issues of the IBIH ezine for only $9.99 – that’s a discount of over 50%!
You’ll get over 75 original recipes that can’t be found here on the blog for less than 15 cents each! And it’s some of my best work yet if I do say so! Need some low carb side dish recipes to complement your ham or turkey? Or some decadent low carb dessert recipes to WOW your guests??? I’VE GOT YOU COVERED!
Get more information on the books here, or simply click the Add to Cart button to download now!
All three for just $9.99!