A couple of weeks ago I posted a Low Carb Pumpkin Quick Bread recipe, and in the post I went on and on about how I thought it would make some seriously amazing french toast…
Well friends, I finally made it happen and it far surpassed even my expectations! 🎉
Because the original low carb pumpkin bread recipe was really tender and *cringes* moist, I made some tweaks to the bread recipe to make it sturdy enough to stand up to being dipped in the egg wash for french toast.
This modified low carb pumpkin bread recipe is also being used for a fantastic low carb Pumpkin Bread, Feta and Sausage Stuffing that I’ll be posting later this week. And yes, it IS as delicious as it sounds!
Meanwhile, let’s get back to this sooper dooper awesome french toast recipe!
Pumpkin-y and satisfying, this was the perfect weekend breakfast!
As a side point I made this french toast recipe on the same morning as I made the Low Carb Mexican Coffee from last week and they made a spectacularly delicious combo together. #somuchcinnamon
I used a sugar free pancake syrup on my french toast, but if you don’t have any or don’t like the consistency of it, you can serve this with a generous amount of butter and a sprinkle of sweetener and cinnamon like I use in my Snickerdoodle Crepes Recipe.
I know it takes a little forethought and planning to make this since the pumpkin quick bread needs to sit a day before slicing, but I promise you that it’s totally worth it!
My strategy is to make 2 loaves at a time and freeze them in half loaves – that way I can have it available for the french toast, or the stuffing, or just to have a slice or two with my coffee in the morning! #yummy
- ¾ cup butter, melted
- 4 large eggs
- ¼ cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 2 cups almond flour
- ⅓ cup coconut flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- ½ cup erythritol sweetener
- pinch of salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp ground allspice
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup heavy whipping cream
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp erythritol sweetener
- 8 slices pumpkin bread (3/4 inches thick)
- 1 Tbsp butter for frying
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (F)
- Combine the melted butter, eggs, almond milk, and pumpkin puree in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Combine the almond flour, coconut flour, sweetener, baking powder, salt, and spices in a medium bowl and stir well.
- Pour the blender ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until well combined and moisture is absorbed.
- Line a long, narrow loaf pan with parchment paper and spoon the batter into a 12 x 4 loaf pan.
- Bake the bread at 350 degrees (F) in the center of your oven for 60 minutes (or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.)
- Turn off the oven and leave the bread in there for an additional 15 minutes.
- Remove the bread from the oven and then from the pan using the parchment paper base to lift it out.
- Cool on the counter or in the refrigerator loosely covered for a minimum of 4 hours, but for best results leave it overnight before slicing.
- Combine the eggs, heavy whipping cream, cinnamon and sweetener in a medium bowl and beat well until smooth.
- Melt the butter in a nonstick saute pan over medium heat.
- Carefully dip a slice of the pumpkin bread in the egg mixture on both sides for just a few seconds, and cook in the butter for about 2 minutes per side or until golden brown. Remove the french toast to a warmed plate and repeat with the remaining slices.
- Serve warm with butter and sugar free syrup or cinnamon and sweetener sprinkled over the top.
2 slices french toast: 531 calories, 49g fat, 6.75g net carbs, 16g protein
1 loaf of modified bread: 3130 calories, 280g fat, 51g carbs, 87g protein
(divide by number of slices to get info per serving)
New to low carb and need some help getting started? Try out any one of my free low carb and keto menu plans with recipes and shopping lists and start losing weight fast!