So I can hardly believe it, but we’ll be leaving for Miami to attend the Blogher Food ’14 Conference tomorrow morning! I’m excited that Mr. Hungry and Hungry Jr. are coming along, and we’ll be driving since we have plans to hang out in Florida for a few extra days after the conference. It’s going to be a great time! (I’ll be posting some photos and updates from the trip on the IBIH Facebook Page and Twitter, but be sure to follow us on Instagram for behind the scenes photos that I won’t be posting anywhere else!)
One of the things I’m excited for is to finally meet some bloggers and sponsors that I’ve been corresponding with for ages. At the top of my list is Jones Dairy Farm, who is also sponsoring my attendance to Blogher food this year! As part of the hoopla, they asked me to come up with a road trip worthy low carb recipe featuring one of their fantastic products to share with you guys.
My first thought was as follows:
Step 1) Cook an entire package of Jones Dairy Farm Dry Aged Bacon
Step 2) Put said bacon in a plastic baggie
Step 3) Munch on bacon during the entire trip
Easy peasy, right? I’m guessing that’s not what they had in mind – although I’ve totally done that before and called it a day. Most delicious ride EVAH!
Since this is going to be a LOOOOONG trip though (9 hours!), we need something more substantial to keep us going. Before going low carb, I’d just make a few sandwiches or we’d stop at the drive thru on the way down. It’s not easy to find low carb friendly options when traveling though – that’s why I’m packing some food to go.
My criteria for this recipe was that it be simple to prepare (because I’m busy packing and tying up loose ends before we go), delicious of course, and easy to eat on the road without utensils.
This Jones Dairy Farm Sausage crusted quiche totally fits the bill. It’s firm and not at all messy – especially when eaten at room temp or cold while on the road. Because we’re in a bit of a hurry I did this in one pan and cut it onto wedges – if you want to get fancy you can make them in muffin cups.
Don’t have an epic road trip coming up? No worries – this recipe is also fantastic at home, or on your commute to work or the gym in the morning. It’s delicious at any temperature and reheats well if you prefer it hot.
Did I mention this low carb recipe was easy? Simply take your (thawed) Jones Dairy Farm Sausage Roll and press it into a pan or pie plate. Then add some veggies and fresh herbs (I used eggplant slices, cherry tomatoes, and parsley for this recipe, but you can sub in your favorites.)
Mix up your eggs, cream, and cheese (I used grate Parmesan in this recipe) and pour it gently into the pan.
Bake until firm and you’re ready to serve!
Sausage Crusted Quiche – Low Carb and Gluten Free
A low carb and gluten free sausage crusted quiche recipe that is perfect to eat at home or take on the road! Customize with your favorite veggies, herbs and cheeses!
- Yield: 6 servings
- 12 oz Jones Dairy Farm Pork Sausage Roll
- 5 slices eggplant, peeled (about 1/2 inch thick)
- 10 cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 2 Tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 6 eggs
- 2 Tbsp heavy whipping cream
- 2 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 tsp Kosher salt
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees (F). Press the sausage along the bottom and sides of an 8″ casserole dish or pie plate. Lay the slices of eggplant across the bottom. Top with the halved cherry tomatoes and fresh parsley. Combine the eggs, heavy whipping cream, Parmesan, salt and pepper in a medium bowl and whisk until blended. Gently pour over the ingredients in the pan. Bake in a 375 degree (F) oven for about 40 minutes or until firm in the center and the sausage is fully cooked. Serve at any temperature.
Approximate nutrition info per serving: 340 calories, 28g fat, 3g net carbs, 17g protein
- Serving Size: 1/6th of the batch (square, wedge, or two muffin c
This post is sponsored by Jones Dairy Farm – all recipes, photos and opinions are my own!0