Spring is here and for me that means lots and lots of asparagus! Before we moved to the lake house we rented in NY this year, both the houses we lived in had gardens that I’d put asparagus beds into. Fresh spears of asparagus, snapped off and still warm from the sun are so sweet and delicious that they bear almost no resemblance to the days old spears you’re getting in the stores.
So if you have the space, I highly recommend starting an asparagus bed! It’s a little work up front and takes a couple of years to get really established, but it is so very worth it if you like asparagus! Your asparagus beds will come back better and better each spring, and you’ll look forward to those first fresh spears poking through the soil.
Here’s a link to an article on how to start your own asparagus bed if you’re interested in doing so!
While you can’t beat asparagus fresh from the garden, I also love store bought asparagus in all its forms. Simply roasted is a great way to go, but sometimes I like to get a little fancier – enter this delicious low carb Asparagus, Leek and Pancetta Tart!
The crust is based on my low carb lemon shortbread, unsweetened of course! The subtle lemon flavor really complements the ingredients in the filling, and just screams spring to me.
The filling boasts a super creamy, almost custard that envelops the other ingredients and blends well with the many textures in this delicious low carb tart.
Much of the flavor comes from the buttery leeks, salty pancetta, and the smooth tang of goat cheese that marries well with the slightly sweet ribbons of asparagus. It’s a symphony of spring flavors that we just couldn’t get enough of!
This tart keeps well for several days and is delicious warm, chilled or even at room temperature. It slices well and is perfect for brunch or even as a pre-dinner appetizer. Really there is no time that this low carb asparagus tart isn’t delicious – I ate slices of it for breakfast and lunch for two days after I made it, and I was really sad when it was gone!
I wish they had scratch and sniff technology for blogs (maybe someday) so you could smell how amazing this tart is – I guess you’ll have to make it and find out for yourself!!!
Then be sure to report back and let me know what you thought of it!
Asparagus, Leek & Pancetta Tart – Low Carb & Gluten Free
This fantastic low carb tart is loaded with asparagus, buttery leeks, salty pancetta, and tangy goat cheese! Gluten free and perfect for brunch!
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- Category: Low Carb Appetizer Recipe
- Cuisine: American
For the Crust:
- 6 Tbsp butter, melted
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1/2 tsp Kosher salt
- 1 tsp freshly grated lemon zest
For the Filling:
- 4 oz pancetta, chopped
- 1 cup thinly sliced leeks (white part only, be sure to rinse well!)
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 cups thinly sliced asparagus
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 oz soft goat cheese
For the crust:
- Combine all of the crust ingredients in a medium bowl and mix well.
- Press the dough into a 9 x 9 pan, 8 x 11 sheet, or a 9 inch springform pan about 1 inch up the sides.
- Bake the crust for 12 minutes at 350 degrees (F) until slightly golden.
For the filling:
- Melt the butter in a medium saute pan and add the pancetta, leeks, salt and pepper.
- Cook for about 8 minutes or until the leeks are soft and transparent.
- Stir in the asparagus and cook for 2 minutes.
- Arrange the asparagus mixture evenly over the pre-baked crust.
- Whisk together the heavy whipping cream and egg yolks in a small bowl until well combined.
- Gently pour the egg mixture over the asparagus ingredients.
- Sprinkle with the crumbled goat cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees (F) for 25 minutes or until slightly firm.
- Serve warm or chilled.
Approx. nutrition info per 1/8th of tart: 423 calories, 40g fat, 5g net carbs, 9g protein
SUMMER IS COMING! Not ready to get into that bathing suit yet?!? I know the feeling!!! Get back on track with my free keto menu plans and you’ll be hitting the beach with confidence in no time!